Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My father in law committed suicide

Posted by   + Show Post
My father in law committed suicide yesterday. He shot himself in the head while he was home by himself. I've told my 8 year old and 6 year old what happened and tried to explain it to them as best I can. We're at my mother in law's house now. I don't know really what to expect or how to help my kids deal with this. They loved their grandpa. Has anyone been through something like this?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:14 PM
Replies (11-20):
saltyalley1227
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:14 PM
Someone I love died is a great book for helping kids deal with grief. I'm so sorry for your loss.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jellybean82
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:39 PM
I will look for that book. Thank you.

Quoting saltyalley1227:

Someone I love died is a great book for helping kids deal with grief. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dimples04
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Quoting MarShy740:

No I'm sorry for your loss
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darrensmom11
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:41 PM
I'm very sorry for your family's loss.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
samhen
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:45 PM
We didn't have suicide but mu sil passed away a few years ago! MT nephew's were 3 and 5! One thing they told us us don't ever tell them they just went to sleep and wont come back! That might cause the children to be terribly scared of going to sleep! I am sorry for your loss
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jellybean82
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:55 PM
I've chosen to gice them honest information as they ask for it. They know he killed himself and that he used a gun. I didn't give any further detail than that. I don't want them to overhear or to make up their own explanations. I've always been very honest with my kids. I think a lie or refusal to talk about it would have been more confusing to them. We talked about how he had been sick and in pain for a long time, and that he was sad and made a bad decision. I told them that he loved them and that it was normal to feel sad, angry, and like it wasn't real or to not want to talk or think about it. I also emailed their teachers about it. I don't know what else to do. We are all devastated.

Quoting Mrs_Incredible:

:( No. I'm sorry. I would leave out as many of the graphic details as possible, just that he died. I wouldn't tell them he killed himself if you haven't already. That could really confuse them. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PrincessPeach06
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:56 PM
I'm so sorry. :(. My grandfather committed suicide when I was 8.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovingmommywife
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Quoting darrensmom11:

I'm very sorry for your family's loss.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:58 PM

No I haven't. I am so very sorry. This is very rough on all of you. The children may need counseling.  You are all in my prayers.

Bmat
by Barb on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Oh no! I am sorry.

Quoting PrincessPeach06:

I'm so sorry. :(. My grandfather committed suicide when I was 8.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured