• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I tell my mom

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:31 PM
  • 13 Replies

That I don't want to do her taxes anymore?

Every year she waits until 2-3 weeks before April 15th to get me everything. I hate it when she pesters me then to get them done immediately.

I'm doing this for free, but she expects me to just sit and do only her taxes like I don't have a business (not doing taxes), work and my kids and now I have my DF in the picture.

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jillysmom
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:34 PM

I would nicely tell her now If you not have everything to me by next weekend I just wont have time to do them. I will get them done as soon as I can.

Luv.My.Kidz
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:37 PM

:( that doesn't work with her. I've told her that before. Last year I told her "This is the last year I'm doing your taxes, I can't keep being stressed over taxes that I'm not getting back!" She got pissed over it and told me "Well, these are mine and I want you to do them. You know how to do them!"

but she never listens to me on how I want things set up. I have to call her about a million times asking her "What is this? What does this mean?" etc

Quoting Jillysmom:

I would nicely tell her now If you not have everything to me by next weekend I just wont have time to do them. I will get them done as soon as I can.

Jillysmom
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

:( that doesn't work with her. I've told her that before. Last year I told her "This is the last year I'm doing your taxes, I can't keep being stressed over taxes that I'm not getting back!" She got pissed over it and told me "Well, these are mine and I want you to do them. You know how to do them!"

but she never listens to me on how I want things set up. I have to call her about a million times asking her "What is this? What does this mean?" etc

Quoting Jillysmom:

Do we share a mom? I was so glad when mine stopped working and didnt have them anymore for me to do. Sorry I couldnt help.

Cara5
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Screw them up so she doesnt get a refund, bet she gets someone else to do them next year. 

Luv.My.Kidz
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:41 PM

When you do someone elses taxes, you have to fill out the preparers information. That will backfire on me and I will be held accountable.

Quoting Cara5:

Screw them up so she doesnt get a refund, bet she gets someone else to do them next year. 

rockinmomto2
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 4:04 PM

I would just tell her no. Say "I'm sorry mom, but it's too much stress. I won't do your taxes." and tell her now so she knows.

Bmat
by Barb on Mar. 4, 2012 at 4:08 PM

I agree, or tell her well in advance that she'll need to find someone else to prepare them.

Quoting Jillysmom:

TheresaC7
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 4:10 PM

I would tell her nicely that you will not be able to do them and refer her to an H&R Block, or other tax preparer. Once she knows you are serious, she SHOULD understand. Stand your ground. You said you tried to before and she told you you were doing them. Tell her I am sorry, but NO and give her back all her papers and walk away from the situation. If she brings it up again, change the topic or tell her you are very sorry (again), but you are not going to discuss it anymore. IMO, you have your own stresses and her taxes should not be one of them.

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Mar. 4, 2012 at 4:13 PM

i would just tell her you dont have the time to do them...and if you need to explain to her why...tell her its because theyre never handed to you in time, theyre never organized properly, and then you feel that youre being rushed when doing them, 

Mrs_Incredible
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:20 PM

I would tell her you will do them only x week and if she doesn't give you the info to do them by then, she needs to find someone else and then, don't do them for her. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)