Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tax questions for parents with SSI.

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:28 PM
  • 3 Replies

My husband hasn't worked in some time and I have SSI benefits. We haven't filed our taxes in a few years because we were told we didn't have to. But a friend of mine told me that her daughter has several children and was able to receive a $500 credit for each child even though nobody in her home worked that year. She said she thinks they even go back 2-3 years. Does anyone know anything about this? Our son has never been claimed before because we didn't file.

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
-PB
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:12 PM

I don't know about the SSI thing but I can tell you that when it comes to taxes, if the federal government owes you money you have up to 7 years to claim it.  I didn't file for a few years but I was working just not making much money (stupid, I know).  I called the IRS and told them I hadn't filed in a few years and they told me to fill it out and send it in.  There are no penalties or late fees if the government owes you.  Only if you owe them.  I was paid returns that were 4 years old.  I even got paid a little bit of interest from the state of Virginia on my state return.

thePBandJmom
by Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:51 PM

bump

mamamiajk
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2012 at 10:24 AM

I  have  been  on  disability  for  years  and  had  3  sons..  I  file  for  a  property  tax  credit  but  never  have  gotten  a  refund  of  that  kind.  In  MI  you  get  those  credits  if  someone  in  the  home  has  worked  at  least  part  of  the  year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)