Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dry scalp

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:29 PM
  • 14 Replies
My dd has very dry scalp. What type of shampoo can I use?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:02 PM

How old is your child?   For a non shampoo remedy you can rub yogurt on her scalp to help moisturize, just dont let it drip in her eyes.

MarineWife2612
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:22 PM
She's 6 months
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Butterflysky_24
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 12:42 AM
Is it cradle cap or just dry skin? You can use regular shampoo and conditioner on their hair u just have to be super ultra totally so very careful not to get it in their eyes. I used head & shoulders for my son's cradle cap as a baby. And occasionally put some conditioner on there for moisturizing. Just be very careful
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2012 at 3:55 AM

Hmmm for a 6 month old do not wash their scalp every day and check with her dr but i think a pea size amount of lotion will help.  I have heard of people using adult dandruff shampoos but i stayed away from that.

MarineWife2612
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 8:31 AM
It doesn't look like cradle crap, it's on the very front of her hair line and in big patches
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bbmkfo03
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 8:52 AM

I'd call the pediatrician to see what they recommend.

LoreleiSieja
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Don't Use Any Shampoo.

Most shampoos are high in chemicals, which are absorbed through the skin and remain in the body for a long time.  Research is finding dozens of harsh chemicals in the cord blood of Newborns!  It is believed that common shampoo is the major culprit.

It is perfectly fine to use nothing but baking soda and water to wash ANYONE's hair!  THousands of adults use this method, maybe more than that! I have used it for five years or more, with wonderful results.

Hair doesn't get dirty the same way that hands and feet get dirty.  Hair gets a little oily, and maybe sweaty.  Fresh water can wash it, but using a tablespoon of baking soda and water will get your hair (and baby's hair) very clean, without the use of dangerous, toxic chemicals. 

Some people use a mild rinse of a tablespoon or two of apple cider vinegar in a cup of water, every other time they shampoo with baking soda and water, to restore the natural pH balance.  YOu do not need to rinse a baby's hair with vinegar, but you might want to use it on your own.  You can substitute lemon juice for vinegar, if you don't like the way it smells, but rinse the lemon juice THOROUGHLY.  Any juice that remains in your hair will have the tendency to lighten it, especially when combined with sunshine.

There is tons of information on the web about baking soda shampooing.  Google "no poo" for much of it. 

http://www.naturemoms.com/no-shampoo-alternative.html

http://raisingcreativechildren.com/never-shampoo-again/

Lorelei

www.raisingcreativechildren.com

Ten Steps to Boost Your Child's Creativity

Sweet_Carol_126
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 11:03 AM

I was going to say that my husband had flakey scalp and his doctor told him there was some kind of problem and to use Tea Tree Oil Shampoo.  It smells healthy and medicinal.  However, i am not sure that a young baby or child should have this put on their scalp. I don't know how it burns the eyes just that I haven't had a problem and I like to use it once or twice a month and then use my regular body shampoo.  I only used baby shampoo so it wouldn't burn the eyes.  You can use baby oil on the scalp or even  olive oil or canola oil if he scalp is really dry.  It could be something else so you can ask the pediatrician when you go again if the baby oil on the head doesn't work.  Mayonnaise is good on the scalp and hair too.  Also works on your plant leaves to clean them.  is good for adult scalp and hair but it isn't easy to wash out.  Could put very little on a baby's scalp. 

LindaClement
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Babies, generally, need only be washed with water. Soaps and shampoos strip oils from their skin, and they're not dirty that way. Any light oil (that you can eat) will help.

MarineWife2612
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 11:23 AM
Thank you all
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)