Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DD can clear a room...

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:34 PM
  • 20 Replies
A few weeks ago, it came up at a dr's apt that DD has had issues with constipation and holding in her poop, so the dr suggested a miralax regimen to help get her regulated and help teach her not to hold it and to know when to go.

It's working... Except it gives her the WORST farts!! Swear she can and does clear a room easily! We have been working on her diet (she's extremely picky; therapy has been suggested by others for her eating habits) and she also takes fiber gummies, which we were encouraged to continue.

Any ideas on how to curb the gas, or are we just going to have to suffer?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheresaC7
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Mylicon (sp?) drops. My older DD was taking Miralax recently, too. She is a vegetarian though and I guess it was her body's way of reacting to the diet change. I don't see why she would need therapy for pickiness. Some kids are just like that. My 18 month old will only eat eggs, Gerber puffs, chicken noodle soup and I think that's about it. She will usually eat what you are currently eating, but will not eat it again unless she sees you eating it again.

BaileynMe
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:54 PM
It's considered problem eating if they will eat ten foods or less; when it was suggested, dd was at 13 foods. Literally would not touch anything else. I think we've gotten her closer to 20-25 now.

Quoting TheresaC7:

Mylicon (sp?) drops. My older DD was taking Miralax recently, too. She is a vegetarian though and I guess it was her body's way of reacting to the diet change. I don't see why she would need therapy for pickiness. Some kids are just like that. My 18 month old will only eat eggs, Gerber puffs, chicken noodle soup and I think that's about it. She will usually eat what you are currently eating, but will not eat it again unless she sees you eating it again.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheresaC7
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Oh wow, really?!? Then I think both my DDs need therapy! I guess I just thought mine were picky. But it runs in the family. My younger brother lived off Ramen noodles for about 5 years as a teen and he's healthy...a little odd, but healthy. LOL

Quoting BaileynMe:

It's considered problem eating if they will eat ten foods or less; when it was suggested, dd was at 13 foods. Literally would not touch anything else. I think we've gotten her closer to 20-25 now.

Quoting TheresaC7:

BaileynMe
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:25 PM
It was her speech therapist, not her dr, who recommended the therapy for diet. The doc said that they don't worry about the pickiness until about 5 or 6 years unless it's affecting her health, and even then they're not so worried if she's still following the same growth and development curve. so we probably won't do anything about it. No one in my family has EVER been this picky and I just had no idea how to deal with it! The biggest concern was how she reacted when we tried to introduce something new, even with no pressure; she completely melted down, for instance, when DH tried to add sauce to her spaghetti noodles. It was nuts. We've since learned that just taking things slow works best.

I try not to be one of "those" moms who jumps at every little thing, but sometimes it gets hard because my niece and nephew have developed... faster. I know it's not a competition, I do, but sometimes it worries me that I'M not doing enough.

Anywho, I'll try the mylicon when I get to the store next. Forgot about that stuff; I haven't used it since she was so little!

Quoting TheresaC7:

Oh wow, really?!? Then I think both my DDs need therapy! I guess I just thought mine were picky. But it runs in the family. My younger brother lived off Ramen noodles for about 5 years as a teen and he's healthy...a little odd, but healthy. LOL

Quoting BaileynMe:

Quoting TheresaC7:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Hmm since the laxative therapy just started, it may take a week or 2 for her body to get used dto it and then gas will be less potent.  My so was that bad when he started the fiber gummies but now it isnt so bad.  Make sure she is drinking lots of water as well.

BaileynMe
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:18 PM
Good call. She hasn't had as much water as she probably should.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Hmm since the laxative therapy just started, it may take a week or 2 for her body to get used dto it and then gas will be less potent.  My so was that bad when he started the fiber gummies but now it isnt so bad.  Make sure she is drinking lots of water as well.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kiwismommy19
by Diamond Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:23 PM
She's 4, right? Do they have gasX for kids that young? I don't recall the age on it. Also the kid's/infant's gas drops may help. I know when I was on extra fiber after Ki was born, it gave me major gas. The gasX strip things helped a ton.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BaileynMe
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:43 PM
They have strips?

Quoting Kiwismommy19:

She's 4, right? Do they have gasX for kids that young? I don't recall the age on it. Also the kid's/infant's gas drops may help. I know when I was on extra fiber after Ki was born, it gave me major gas. The gasX strip things helped a ton.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kiwismommy19
by Diamond Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:15 PM
I can't recall for sure the brand but I think it was GasX. Or something. But, yeah, there are strip things you put on your tongue that dissolve and help gas.

Quoting BaileynMe:

They have strips?

Quoting Kiwismommy19:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jabs54
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:21 PM

I have the same problem but it's my dog that can clear the room.  My vet told me probiotics might help.  I haven't tried it yet but maybe you could try yogurt?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)