Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Long distance relationships

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:37 PM
  • 15 Replies

Have you ladies ever been in one? And long did it last (or did ever end)?

I have a wonderful boyfriend right now. Everyone thinks our relationship is a joke because it is long distance. The more I think about it the more nervous I get....as much as I love him, I'm just not sure it's going to work out. He want me to move back to Maryland, DC area (where I'm from). PG county to be exact. He can't move because he is a volunteer firefighter/cheif and a PG county police officer, plus he as 2 daughters who live in Maryland. Anyway, I just feel if I move I won't be able to afford it. I'm a single mom and being in GA, my parents help out sooooooooooo much!!!! I'm not sure if I should end it now even though we would both be heart broken (i'm not sure I can go through another heartbreak after breaking up with my daughters father), but I don't want to make this any harder than it has to be.

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Razzme
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:43 PM

I was in one while I was married, my ex-dh lived in NC while I stayed in GA with my family. But you probably don't want to hear about it. It wasn't good.

teenxmommie2011
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:44 PM

yep. we were in the 9th grade when we started dating, and he lived in West Tulsa (Oklahoma). we dated off and on until our junior when he broke up with me through a text message.

Bknotnobody
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:45 PM
My husband deployed for six months. We have been together now almost 4 years. He deployed 2-3 months after we got married. It's tough long distance but really love is worth it if you want to make it work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lioness3e
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:05 PM

I was in one for 6 years up until 8 months ago when I moved from MI to OH and now we are living together. It'll be 7 years in August.

I'm an empty nester now, which made the move easier.

I will say, it took the two of us giving 100% from both sides to make it work. It was hard as hell but we both wanted it to work. It cost us a lot of money, as well. The gas going back and forth every other week and when he worked out in Seattle for 2.5 of those 6 years we were flying back and forth every 2-3 months for a week at a time to nurture our relationship. 

There has to be 100% trust, no doubting one another and willing to be there by phone or e-mail on a daily basis.  Openness and communication is key to making it work.

It'll work only if you want it too, however, I hear doubt when I read your post. Do what you feel is needed to be happy. What are you willing to give up for this relationship. When you have a long distance relationship that is a huge part of it. Self sacrifice on both sides. If it's one sided,it won't work.

turtle07
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:11 PM

uggh i just had a super long reply and it had an error when i tried posting it and now its gone

geekmommy84
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:13 PM

yup, the very beginning of DH and I's relationship was LD, and here we are happily married for 4 yrs but been together over all for 5. A LD relationship will work as long as you put the efforts. I'd just let people think what they  want because its going to be a awesome "I told you so" when years down the road y'all two are happy and living together,etc.

PinkParadox
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:14 PM

There is nothing wrong with continuing to talk to him...but, you can't have a complete relationship long distance.  

alexsmomaubrys2
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:16 PM

DH and I were in a long distance relationship for nearly 2 years. He was on the East Coast and I was on the West Coast. We saw each other every 3 month and then we got married and I moved to VA with him.

Would you live WITH him or just move closer?

How long have you been dating?

MrsMalsam
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:18 PM
1 mom liked this
The beginning of my relationship was long distance... DH is a Marine. The first year was completely long distance. Only saw each other on four visits in that year. Then he deployed. He proposed a month after he got back and I moved to his duty station to be with him. 1800 miles away from home. It's been four years and we have two kids now. Would have been crazy to give him up.

Don't give up a good man if your heart says he's worth it but your head tells you the distance is the issue... Love will always find a way to let it work if you allow it to.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MarinaVictoria
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting MrsMalsam:

The beginning of my relationship was long distance... DH is a Marine. The first year was completely long distance. Only saw each other on four visits in that year. Then he deployed. He proposed a month after he got back and I moved to his duty station to be with him. 1800 miles away from home. It's been four years and we have two kids now. Would have been crazy to give him up.

Don't give up a good man if your heart says he's worth it but your head tells you the distance is the issue... Love will always find a way to let it work if you allow it to.

Thank you! That makes me feel better. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)