Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Work

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 2:53 PM
  • 12 Replies

So after training last week I started work this week. My title is CES-Sub. So for 90 days I am a sub. I worked 3 days this week. For the next 5-6 weeks I will work Tues & Thurs with one client. M, W, F  I will be called in if need be. I need more hours! They did not call me on Wed or today. In the interview they told me I could probably work every day! I need at least 4 days a week!!  Should I talk with the lady who schedules next week? Or let it go for a while? How should I go about it? BTW, I really like the job.

by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 2:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmat
by Barb on Mar. 16, 2012 at 3:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I am glad to hear that you like the job. Let it go for a couple weeks anyway, until they get to know what a good worker you are, then you can mention that you feel you'd be able to pick up more days.

LiesLiesLies
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 4:07 PM
It's good that you like your job.

That being said they told you your role. Don't be pushy and "annoying". It might cost you your job.

Perhaps casually mention on a day you are called in "I hope I get called in often...I would work every day if I was called in!"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SexyTeacher
by Gold Member on Mar. 16, 2012 at 11:19 PM

I had just logged off the computer and walked into the bedroom when the phone rang. It was work! I have the number saved on my phone. They asked me to work next Mon. and Wed. with somebody!! So next week I work 4 days!  That is great! 5 days would be better but I will take 4. Now I don't have to say anything!!!

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2012 at 10:56 AM

If the opportunity arises, go ahead and mention that you'd be willing (or happy) to work more hours if they are available, but I think you have to be willing to accept that for at least the first 90 days, since you are a sub.  By definition, a sub would be called in when extra help is needed or a regularly schedule employee can't be there...Make sure you work hard and show them your best so they want to give you more hours too!

stepdiva
by on Mar. 17, 2012 at 12:07 PM
Yes let them know you really like the job and could use more hours. Just be sure you show up. Have good child care available and even though they can't ask you that, you can say that when you're asking for these extra hours. I hire people and those who tell me how they are willing to do almost anything to get the job are the ones I look at the closest. Just be honest. People appreciate that. Good luck.
stepdiva
by on Mar. 17, 2012 at 12:15 PM
I'm a believer in letting them know up front what you want. It isn't annoying it is simply communicating with them. I got my first job out of nursing school by nagging one of the places who interviewed me. In those days inexperienced nurses weren't offered jobs easily. I called the nurse manager everyday after the interview and spoke with her reminding her I had bern there and was interested. I got hired! I now more inclined to hire people who show a genuine interest in working for me. Or at least I interview them. I've interviewed people who didn't look real good in their application but in person are terrific and I hire them. Because they call me. And even nag me. Lol. It's okay, I don't feel nagged.
crystal.davis78
by on Mar. 17, 2012 at 1:52 PM

The subs in our area are called if needed as well.  If you get some teachers that requests you then you will have more steady work.  Good luck!

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Mar. 17, 2012 at 1:59 PM

I would ask, it couldn't hurt.

LoreleiSieja
by on Mar. 17, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Unfortunately, when the job is part-time, it is very common for the employer to inflate the hours you'll be expected to work.  If he were honest, it would be much harder to hire!  It's very likely that you will not be seeing more hours for a long, long time.

However, the best thigns to do are:

1) you're very new.  You mentioned you just had training last week.  It is right to give a "thank you" card to whoever hired you.  Find a nice thank-you card, don't just do a blank letter.  Tell them how grateful you are for the work, that you love your job, and you REALLY LOOK FORWARD to working more hours!  Don't go into detail about how many more hours you want, or how many hours you were promised in the interview.  Keep it short.  Keep it simple.  But a thank-you is a forgotten ettiquette these days, and you'll be at the top of the employer's list by showing this simple courtesy.

2) focus on the hours you have.  ENjoy your work. MAster the job. Gain experience.  If, after several weeks, you just can't make it, you may talk to your employer, in a calm, matter-of-fact voice, and ask him if there's any chance of getting more hours, or a steady schedule at least so you can look for a second job.

3) you may have to get a second job to augment the missing hours of the first job.

4) as you gain experience, you may have to start looking for another job in the same field - one that will be fultime or more hours - but not until you've been here about a year.

SexyTeacher
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Thanks, I do all the things you have mentioned. I have experience and that is one reason I was hired and given a higher pay rate than some right out of college. Now that I was called I feel better about everything.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN