Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Need advice for my super sized child!!! Any advice appreciated.

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 1:11 AM
  • 41 Replies
So, I have a very large, as in tall, 11 month old. He is 36.9" long. His crib is on the lowest setting. Today while with his sitter he climbed out of his crib (he's fast in addition to being tall), and got a good bonk. Luckily his sitter caught him so only a goose egg pn the forehead, and he's mostly OK. After a visit to the local children's hospital and a good stern talking to by the ED doctor we've learned that our son is "too large" for a crib but haven't been given any suggestions. We already have a crib topper but he climbs out so it doesnt work. Does anyone else have this issue? Any advice??? Much appreciate any feedback. He's obviously too young for a toddler bed as he rolls and moves too much...
Many thanks in advance.
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 1:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
onefootcutiepie
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 1:13 AM

I moved my kids to toddler beds at around 10 months....

th78
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 1:16 AM
4 moms liked this
I had this problem with my 9 yr old when she was 8 months old. She'd climb out of the crib everyday. Finally we put her in the toddler bed next to our bed, next to a wall. If they do roll out, they're Not goin far plus u can put pillows or something soft on the floor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Caitlinsmom09
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 1:16 AM

i think a toddler bed might be good for him but thats just me ...maybe you could put his crib mattress on the floor without the bed so if he rolls he wont get hurt...and/or pillows beside the mattress. Just a thought :)

Momof2Stepof3
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2012 at 1:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Toddler bed or mattress on the floor. I did both with my kids at that age. DS was on a mattress on the floor at 9 months DD was in toddler bed by 11 months.

Jennifer_57
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 1:18 AM
My daughter is average and did that. Does he have his own room? If so I recomend getting a twin bed (if your son is smart like my girl, he will utalize a toddler bed to climb over gate i am about to recomend) and go gate hunting, or, if you or his father or someone you know is capable, make your own gate tall enough he won't climb it. My daughter had to have all shelves, furniture, chairs, except her bed removed from her room or she would utalize these or take them apart for tools to get out, but she eventually adjusted pretty well. If theres one thing I have learned is they will always surprise so think ahead lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MumsTheWord571
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2012 at 1:18 AM
A crib tent may help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MumsTheWord571
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2012 at 1:19 AM

G

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EsmeVincent
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2012 at 1:19 AM
If he is climbing out then I would say a toddler bed is your best(safest) bet. Ds never tried to climb out so I am really no help but I wouldnt want him to fall out and really get hurt
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jennifer_57
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 1:24 AM
Or this would work too oppose to a twin, or you could get one of those neat little racecar beds to prevent him from falling out/keep drafts out

Quoting Caitlinsmom09:

i think a toddler bed might be good for him but thats just me ...maybe you could put his crib mattress on the floor without the bed so if he rolls he wont get hurt...and/or pillows beside the mattress. Just a thought :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Mar. 19, 2012 at 2:01 AM
3 moms liked this

i personally think toddler beds are a waste of money...so i would go with a twin size bed..i switched my daughter into a twin on her first birthday.  Her bed was against the wall on one side, and on the other i had one of those rails to put up so she wasnt able to fall out...worked perfect!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)