Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Paragard IUD

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 1:20 AM
  • 41 Replies

I wrote this journal on Feb. 25th: Shortly after the birth of my son, I recieved the ParaGard IUD. The doctor told me my first few periods would be heavier than normal and last longer. I just ended my first one since having it put in and it was actually was one of the easiest I've had! It was 6 days, which is only one day longer than normal and I didn't cramp at all. If you're considering the ParaGard and are worried about the "killer cramps" I'd say go ahead and try it out! Everybody is different and if you don't like it the removal procedure is quick and easy! I definitely recommend it! It lasts for up to 12 years and is hormone free! I'm going to have another put in instead of getting my tubes tied.

UPDATE: My second period with Paragard included minimal cramping, but I've been bleeding for 12 days...What gives? Does anybody have Paragard or know what could be happening?

by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 1:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
themissheather
by Member on Mar. 30, 2012 at 1:52 AM
When I was on the Depo shot I would bleed for a few hours every afternoon. That lasted for weeks. I believe it's your body's way o adjusting. I hope it even outs for you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bbmkfo03
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 9:59 AM

BUMPing for ya. I have no experience with it but I know other women here have.

LindaClement
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 12:02 PM

I have no experience with IUDs... but if you've been bleeding 'frank' blood (fresh and red) for 12 days, you need to see your doctor.

If it's not bright and red, it's probably fine.

VLY
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 12:58 PM

I sometimes have two week periods with this paraguard iud... my last period was only a few days though... DS is 10mths

BensMom12412
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 1:03 PM
I have mirena, completely different I know, but the dr said I'd spot for the first 3-6 months. It hasn't been bad, nothing more then a panty liner can't handle, and I don't cramp very often, the periods aren't bad either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
curlz333
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 1:15 PM
I don't never even considered this bc :/ although now that u said its good for 12 yrs I think I might want it, I'm wanting something more long term instead of getting my tubes tide after this pregnancy is over...... I have been on the Depo & the 1st time I got it I honestly bled for almost 4 months straight not blood shot red but after 2 months it was mostly spotting in the beginning it was really heavy. On the 2nd time I got it I bled for a month again heavy bleeding than light. I got pregnant after that last shot but after I had my baby I got it again & I had the regular pp bleeding than I totally stop having my periods while on the depo for about a good yr than right now I'm pregnant. I'm wanting to say its maybe ur body just adjusting & I'm guessing it just takes ur body a while to adjust I dnt know everyone's different. I have friends that they don't have any changes in their periods :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momattwenty
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 1:29 PM

thank you everyone!

nerdymom28
by Member on Mar. 30, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Sorry, I'm no help. I thought extensively about getting the Paragard, but decided against it because of all the negative reviews. I'm just going to get my tubes tied instead...after this baby is born, of course. I'm done having kids.

ma2b08
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 1:34 PM
Idk about paraguard but with mirena I bled for weeks upon weeks. It was misery.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momattwenty
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Thank you, good to know it's "normal"

Quoting VLY:

I sometimes have two week periods with this paraguard iud... my last period was only a few days though... DS is 10mths

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN