Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

NEED GOOD ADVICE

Posted by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 6:35 PM
  • 18 Replies

my mom has been making alot of remarks andi need to get my wn place, but im only 16 so i was thinking to get a minuim wage job and a low income apartment and get food stamps and cash aid , is that a good idea ?

by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 6:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
newmom0508
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 6:39 PM
Brace yourself... The drama is coming!

But not from me. I think that while your mother doesn't need to support you and your child you need to have an adult conversation with her and come to an agreement if possible for you to work part time and help pay bills and support yourself until you finish school after which you need to arrange the best you can to move out on your own and support you and your child
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarahLizyB
by Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 6:40 PM
Only advice I can give you is good luck!
newmom0508
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 6:41 PM
Moving on your own will be difficult and I know at least here in Michigan you can not have any credit obligations of your own until you at 18 so to find a place you would need to put it in someone else's name which would likely disqualify you for low income housing
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pam_8787
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 7:16 PM
I think leaving on your own will be hard. Is there any way you and your mom can sit down and talk about it. Try and come to a compromise?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NearSeattleMom
by Gold Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 1:44 AM

That's a very bad idea.  I suggest you get a job and start saving money.  Don't move out until you have some savings.  And be sure to complete your education.  It will never be easier than it is now to finish school.

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 1:45 AM
At 16? Unless you are legally emancipated your mom really cant do that. And good luck getting a job and apartment at your age!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zebbyzebby06
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 1:47 AM
1 mom liked this
Her "remarks" is prob just advice. Yoy are 16 with a child. You wont understand now your moms thinking and what not but once you mature ( not saying you are inmature) you will understand yourvparents thinking, trust me. Id say stay there bare with it and save save save.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bxmom2580
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 1:51 AM
1 mom liked this
At 16 you really cant do much, I was in the same boat 15 yrs ago when I had my oldest, your just gonna have to suck it up for now, but u can get a part time job in the mean time while u in school and save up till u 18 and move out then
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BonitaaMickey
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 12:27 AM
Actually I Was Gone Get A Apartment With My best friend . My mom doesn't give me money at all . When I mean remarks she doesnt say anything nice at all I just already feel like im on my own just havent got to the rent and bills part . She is getting money from the county from us but doesnt do what she is supposed to with it .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coleyandtrevor
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 4:14 AM
2 moms liked this
I'm 31 and living on your own is very hard. And being a parent is very hard. It would do you more good in the long run to stick it out, finish school, try to get a college degree and then move out. Try talking o your mom about what her expectations of you are. But remember she is your mom, but you are a mom as well. Make sure that you are raising your child and not her. If you were to move out now and get a job paying minimum wage you would have to work a lot of hours just to pay the bills even with government assistance, statistically you would more than likely drop out of school, never go to college and be stuck working a minimum wage job struggling the rest of your life. I'm not saying that happens to everyone, but it happens a lot. Right now you are living rent free, milk that as long as you can! I sure would. It's hard being an adult and sometime the responsibilities are very overwhelming. Good luck to you.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)