Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

my father-in-law likes to call my son names, how do i stop this?

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 3:02 AM
  • 7 Replies
Anything my husband and I bring our boys around their grandfather he is always jokingly calling them names. He loves my boys very much but he has a funny way of verbally expressing it. He calls my oldest turd, baboon, and other unfriendly names. My oldest is 22 months and is starting to repeat things we say. My husband has asked him not to do this but nothing has changed. What can I do to stop this?
Coley & Trevor's Mommy
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 3:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 3:05 AM

Hmm Not sure.  My guy has called his children various odd names.  Have you asked him why he calls him a baboon?  I know alot of people that call their children monkeys due to their love of climbing things.  Try to have someone else watch the children and find out the base reason for the names that you feel are mean spirited.  Explain that you do not want them to start calling others (family or strangers) these names.

coleyandtrevor
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 3:15 AM
He's done this since my oldest was born, not sure why. He also does this with my four nephews and both my husband and his sister have asked him to stop but he keeps on doing it. My sister-in-law has had issues with all four of her kids name calling each other, their parents, and friends and family. I do not want this for my kids. Unfortunitly my father-in-law is quite old and is very set in his ways. My husband and i both agree that this needs to stop and I try to met my husband take care of it since it is his father and not mine, but my hubby is too easy going and laid back. We also have issues with both of his parents trying to discipline our oldest when we are taking care of it. They have no issues to taking rulers and twigs to their grandchildren. We have never left our kids alone with them and we never will and luckily they have never taken more than a hand to our children, and even that was a slight slap on the hand. But I'm the type up person that if I am there then it is my responsibility to discipline my children and no one other than their father is allowed to. And i will discipline my kids in a non violent way.

Sorry for rambling, this has been really bothering me for a long time and this is the first place I have ever found where I can say what's on my mind without worrying about it getting to the wrong people
sallymoon
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 6:42 AM
1 mom liked this
I am super stubborn and refuse to tolerate crap like that. If I asked my father or FIL to stop name calling and the behavior continued, he would not be seeing his grandson for a while. Visits would only resume if/when he decides to act like a grown up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GOBryan
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 6:55 AM

You ask him to not call them those names because he's repeating them and it's not appropriate. 

lovemybaby283
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 8:37 AM

You should ask him to stop right after he does it. Don't wait for later or whenever, but caught him in the act and tell him to stop it is not nice and you don't want him repeating those things. My fil tells my dd she is mean, and I finally told him to knock it off and he hasn't done it since. As for the funny weird names my mil calls ALL my kids pumpkin butt, I don't know why but for her it is a term of endearment. So if it is just a weird funny name I would let it go. Now if it is demeaning or hateful you need to stop those. GL

weezer_cookie
by Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 8:40 AM
I agree with this. My mom kicked us out of her house after Christmas so she could go shopping. We live six hours away. She didn't see them again for three months. I was pissed because I wanted it to be longer, but my DH convinced me it was hurting the kids, too. So I caved.

Quoting sallymoon:

I am super stubborn and refuse to tolerate crap like that. If I asked my father or FIL to stop name calling and the behavior continued, he would not be seeing his grandson for a while. Visits would only resume if/when he decides to act like a grown up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Addison12
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 8:52 AM

i call my daughter names like monkey, bub, boog, booger. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)