Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

in need of late night help

Posted by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 2:27 AM
  • 16 Replies
i really need a hand as to what i can do for my daughter right now. She is three months old and has been suffering thru some pretty bad congestion. I took her to and urgent care office earlier today because she has developed a deep slightly raspy cough. But after a clear chest x ray and a neg rsv test, they sent us home with no advise or anything as to what i can do to clear this all out for her so she can breath better and we can both sleep through the night. The nasal asperator isn't working at all and i'm at my wits end can anyone give me a hand here?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 2:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tisacutie
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 2:30 AM
Humidifier! Returning on the type of congestion you will ether need a warm or cool must one, but they are the best things ever for that!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tisacutie
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 2:30 AM
Mist, not must.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lioness3e
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 2:31 AM
Run a hot shower in the bathroom with door shut and allow her the breath in the steam. I did this with my kids when they were babies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Della03
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 2:33 AM
2 moms liked this
Cool mist one works best. Warm mist opens for for more bacteria and mold. Vicks has one that is filter free and can place a Vicks vapor pad in it to release the menthol scent. It works wonders. We got ours at Walmart for $40. Just make sure u use distilled water.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steffielou_who
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 2:37 AM
Either one are good because by the time the must hits the sure, they are the same temp.. I always put vapor rub on the bottom of my boys get and cover with socks since they were babies but you may want to read online as to when is too early for that..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
avalinasmommy
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 2:42 AM
Thank you ladys for the advise. Her daddy is on the way to wal mart now and we are currently hanging out in the bathroom soaking up some steam. She's already snoozing and coughing less yay!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 3:09 AM

I would call her doctor as well on monday for additional at home treatments for congestion.  We had pertussis here that was kiling babies =(.

MumsTheWord571
by Gold Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 3:11 AM
If you're breastfeeding - BM up the nose then the aspirator. If not nasal saline drops then the aspirator.

Humidifier and/or steamy bathroom.

Hugs hope she feels better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MumsTheWord571
by Gold Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 3:13 AM
My doc said the cool mist with a chest infection was BAD and would make it worse. I'd be careful with that.

Quoting Della03:

Cool mist one works best. Warm mist opens for for more bacteria and mold. Vicks has one that is filter free and can place a Vicks vapor pad in it to release the menthol scent. It works wonders. We got ours at Walmart for $40. Just make sure u use distilled water.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bellawomen
by Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 3:21 AM

Saline drops in the nose, let them sit for about 10 seconds and suck her nose out.  I wouldn't repeat this more than 5 times.  Console her and love her in between and after.  If you are breastfeeding, use breastmilk instead. It has antibacterial and antiviral properties so it will help clear any infection.

Dependings on her needs, it might be better to bundle her up tight and leave a window open for some cool air.  The coolness will help reduce any swelling she may have and make it a little easier for her to breathe.  This works for my son who is now 8.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN