Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

IRS payment plan

Posted by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 6:55 AM
  • 10 Replies

My daughter is a single mom and is collecting unemployment. After doing her taxes owes $500.00 to state because she lives in NH but worked in MA. Does the IRS allow a payment plan?  They want the money according to Turbo Tax by the 17th. Is there someone she can contact?

by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 6:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kiwismommy19
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 7:37 AM

I'd guess she should contact the irs itself and see what they allow.

momma2b2008
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 7:39 AM
This!

Quoting Kiwismommy19:

I'd guess she should contact the irs itself and see what they allow.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Katt709
by Katharine on Apr. 15, 2012 at 8:10 AM
1 mom liked this
She can send in her forms tomorrow without payment. When they process it, they'll send her a letter saying she owes and how much the total is with penalties and all. When she gets the letter, call them and set up a plan.

We do it every year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlshine
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 5:21 PM

hmm, you should dig deep and find her some more deductions so she doesn't owe.

pampire
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Quoting Katt709:

She can send in her forms tomorrow without payment. When they process it, they'll send her a letter saying she owes and how much the total is with penalties and all. When she gets the letter, call them and set up a plan.

We do it every year.

I've had to do it twice.  They do charge interest and penalties. She can write a letter asking that the penalty be waived.  They may.  Interest can't be waived.

Trinijewel
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Have someone else take a look at her taxes. Turbo tax said that my husband owed $300 but when we took it to someone to have a look at it he got back about $100. Its all about the deductions. He was able to get a deduction for all of the tolls that we use to get to and from work. 

ANSLUASI
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Ok. First of all, it sounds like it is MA that she owes money to. NH does not tax W2 earnings (at least thier website says they don't). So it isn't the IRS she is dealing with, it is the Massachusetts DOR (Dept of Revenue). According to their website:

• A nonresident whose unemployment compensation is derived from employment both in Massachusetts and elsewhere is subject to Massachusetts income taxation on a percentage of the taxable compensation received equal to the amount paid in Massachusetts or charged to Massachusetts under the interstate system divided by the amount paid in Massachusetts and elsewhere.
  • She can file for an extension. This is good for 6 months. The kicker is that she would need to pay 80% of her tax liability when she files it. But $400 is less to come up with than $500 and it buys her time to find the extra $100. Read up on details here: http://www.mass.gov/dor/individuals/filing-and-payment-information/guide-to-personal-income-tax/filing-requirements/when-is-a-return-due.html#extensions

Hope this helps:)

sixgrandkids
    by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 12:33 AM

I don't know but I wish they did.  My husband will have to look into this.  We owe a lot of money this year.  banging head into wall

sreichelt26
    by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 12:35 AM
    I would have someone else make sure they can't find anymore deductions, but yes, they do payment plans. We're on one now. They charge interest, but it's low.
    Posted on CafeMom Mobile
    doubledoos
    by New Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 7:09 AM

yes they do

Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured