Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Elevated bilirubin....

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 1:17 AM
  • 10 Replies

My GP ran a CMP blood panel on me last week and my bilirubin came back with a total of 2.1. Anything above 1 is considered elevated. I had another CMP done along with a liver ultrasound today. Bilirubin decreased to 1.7 and ultrasound came back normal.Has anyone here had an elevated bilirubin before?

by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 1:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ZakkarysMom
by Silver Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 5:06 AM
No but Im glad your level is back to normal. Did the dr say why it was elevated at the time?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Felicity532
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Nope, but good luck.

mik1of3
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 11:29 AM

I have...if your doctor isn't worried, you shouldn't be. 

Mine didn't really surprise me, though...I had Hepatitis A when I was in 4th grade (playing in street flooding and ditches will do that) and although I totally recovered, and can give blood and everything, it did compromise my liver a bit.

But my doctor blew it off, so I'm not worried about it.

crystalplus1
by Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Not while i was pregnant, but after when a gall stone blocked my Bile Duct it was very high. Had to have 2 surgeries....one the stuck a tube down my throat to crush the stone (omg i felt so much better after) then one to remove my gall bladder.

bamababe1975
by Gold Member on Apr. 17, 2012 at 12:17 PM

If your doctor wasn't concerned then it's probably nothing to worry about, but talk to your doctor and find out what he/she thinks may have caused it and find out whether it's something you can avoid in the future.

Join us in the Pregnancy group

katienmary
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 3:46 AM

My gastro doc has basically no answers as to why my bili it is elevated. It could be Gilbert's syndrome where I basically inherited an abnormal gene from both of my parents. If you have an abnormal gene then you only produce 30% enzyme that you should to keep bilirubin level below 1. My liver ultrasound came back normal and my bili decreased from 2.1 to 1.7. I have to do more blood work in 4 weeks when I see my gastro doc again. He is monitoring my liver so we can narrow down what is causing the elevation. Thank God I have great PPO insurance.

katelynsmommy30
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 3:50 AM
Hey! I just ran across your posts, have they figured anything out yet? Recently I noticed my eyes were turning a lovely tinge of yellow so I immed went to drs, she did a full blood work up including liver, hepatitis and all! My bilirubin was the only thing that was elevated. It is now a 2.5 ugh. I'm so stressed from it, and am driving myself mad searching for reasons. I go Tuesday for a ultrasound to see what is going on there. But I too am thinking possibly Gilbert's syndrome. It is my indirect bilirubin that is elevated, my direct is at a 0 so everything I've read says basically hemolytic anemia or gilberts and others but I can't remember. I am absolutely driving myself crazy though. I want to feel normal again. Please keep me poste on what turns up for you, and I wish you luck! It's so hard when the tests all come back normal but clearly your body is reacting to something! They also think mine may be so to a antibiotic I was on, but I only took it for 2 days so I'm highly doubtful. Ugh! Good luck mama!
katienmary
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 4:55 AM

Thank you SO much for the reply! My doctor thinks it is Gilbert's but I have to go back in 3 weeks for another blood test. My ultrasound was normal. I will keep you posted and please do the same. Don't freak out because if all other blood work is within normal range it is most likely Gilbert's. :-)

katienmary
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 4:57 AM

By the way...I am SUPER tired and weak. How are you?

katelynsmommy30
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:08 PM
I'm sorry! I'm just now seeing your response! I am tired all the time! I have 2 kiddos, and we just moved from Kansas to Hawaii, so I know that doesn't help, but yes I'm exhausted! I just went back to the dr yesterday, everything is normal! My ultrasound, and all the other slews of bloodwork came back perfectly fine! My total indirect bili is still elevated, but the dr I saw yesterday mentioned Gilbert's to me. Which was a first coming from a dr that I have seen (army hospital so I get a different dr each time, quite frustrating!) he wasn't concerned at all! I did ask for more bloodwork, to make sure it wasn't mono or auto immune related, since my auto immune test in the past has come back positive, but we have still been trying to figure out which one I'm struggling with. But the dr doesn't seem like the two are related right now, so we will see. It's so frustrating when there isn't a clear cut answer! You feel crappy and your body is obviously reacting to something by the increase in bili levels, but there is no exact answer! I haven't researched gilberts too much yet, but I'm thinking I need to start! I feel like I have become a pin cushion! Lol! I will keep you posted for sure, please do the same! I'm glad your levels are going down! I did start to take more vitamins, I'm already on prenatals since I'm still bf'ing my ds, but I started to add extra vitamin c, and a b complex, figured it couldn't hurt at all!!! Have a great day!!!

Quoting katienmary:

By the way...I am SUPER tired and weak. How are you?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)