Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Financial Fixer-Upper Day 9: Save for the Future

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 12:01 AM
  • 54 Replies

Happy Tax Day! Hopefully your taxes are filed and you're feeling good about your finances. Now, let's look to the future!

We all know how time flies -- unfortunately whether we're having fun or not. So set yourself up for a financially secure future NOW. Enroll in your company's or your SO's company's 401(k) plan, or start a Roth IRA. If you have enough in savings that you can afford to take some risks investing, go for it! Retirement age may seem like a LOOOoooong way away, but saving now will mean you won't have to worry about money then.

And don't forget to go back to your goals every so often for inspiration and motivation!

Get tips from 'Money Girl' here:

You can also find retirement planning help from Suze Orman here!

nerdyIf you missed yesterday's activity, you can find it here. You can sign up for the Tax-Time Financial Fixer-Upper Challenge here.

by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 12:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RobynS
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 7:59 AM

We got our taxes done early this year. Yay! :) Will have to finish paying off debt before we do much in the way of retirement savings.

eevers55
by Member on Apr. 17, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Our taxes have been done for months now. We used part of the money to visit my family in CA next month because they've never met my daughter

momto3isme
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 8:26 AM
Taxes are done! No retirement plan yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nova.mommy
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2012 at 8:29 AM

Our taxes have been done for months.  We have already used tha refund for a new fridge.  Our old one was almost dead and we had been living with it for over a year with it getting worse all the time.  While we had the money we got a new one.

My job was eliminated about 6 years ago.  I had 19 years with them so I got a nice severance.  We work with a financial planner to start a savings college and IRA's for DH and myself.

mmtosam06
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2012 at 8:38 AM
Taxes are done
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Our taxes have been done for a while, we paid off some debt with those.

Barabell
by Member on Apr. 17, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Taxes are done.

I have pension at work, and I'm contributing to a 401K.

millermom07
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Taxes were done long ago.  Hubby has a retirement plan at work.

amy7243
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Our taxes have been done for a few months now and the refund has been spent....

Bmat
by Barb on Apr. 17, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Our taxes weren't done until Sunday, but at least they are done.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured