Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Ick. Yuck. I didn't know that parents still hit their children and think it's ok.

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:48 AM
  • 77 Replies
1 mom liked this

Sorry. I had to vent. The post requested only moms that hit their kids reply, so I'm venting here.

Thanks. That feels better.

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Taylor.gibson74
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:56 AM
9 moms liked this
Hitting.....i dnt think there is anything wrong with punishment..to a certain extent my 2 year old I will smack his hand...my 5 year old gets a spankin here and there.why does dicipline make a woman a bad mother?or why is it gross to you.more kids need to be diciplined the way I see some act while I'm out.my kids are well behaved!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
janapur
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:05 AM

I'm with you on that. I am very much in favor of disciplined children. Discipline does NOT make a woman a bad mother, imo.

acrogodess
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:05 AM
I'm 31 and if I'm bad enough I still get hit, but you can bet no one ever tell my momma that I was disrespectful lol. I love my mom to pieces. She is always there for me and I know that most of the time she spanked me, I had done something wrong. She is also borderline paranoid schizophrenic so once in awhile I got literally beaten with items.

Spanking for me is and was a last resort. They have always had explanations for why something is wrong. They get items removed from their room, get things like video game time revoked, get set to bed. Even when they are spanked, they know because of the beatings their dad got from both his mother and father as well as neglect that we do not like to spank. Now that they are getting older spankings are very rare indeed. Usually all they need is "the look".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lizzie227
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:09 AM
My child get spanked and times outs nothing wrong with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
janapur
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:14 AM

LOL, "the look" is so much more affective. There is nothing worse for a kid than disappointment in their parents' eyes.

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Apr. 19, 2012 at 2:09 AM
1 mom liked this

i USED to spank my daughter, but all it did was make her scared of me, and i HATED that look in her eye of her being terrified of me..it wasnt a good feeling at all...i got spanked my whole life, up until 17 (when i had, had enuff of it, and moved out) and all it did was make me angry! all i ever wanted was my parents to TALK to me...explain things..whenever i asked "why" all they ever said was "because i said so" or "because thats the rule"..i never understook their "reasoning"....and i honestly hated them for spanking me all the time.....so yaa...i dont spank anymore.....havent since she was 5 (she'll be 8 in 2 weeks)

briesmomisback
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 2:10 AM
1 mom liked this
I spank
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamaeagle216
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 8:15 AM
3 moms liked this
I will smack hands and occasionally butts. There is nothing wrong with that. And of you explain reasoning behind the action your kids end up knowing the difference between right and wrong.
What *I* can't believe is people butting in to parenting. You do it your way and I will do it mine. I won't disciple your kids and you don't coddle mine. Unless I'm hauling off and punching my kid, your opinion is not needed while I'm discipline.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bbmkfo03
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 8:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting alexis_06:

i USED to spank my daughter, but all it did was make her scared of me, and i HATED that look in her eye of her being terrified of me..it wasnt a good feeling at all...i got spanked my whole life, up until 17 (when i had, had enuff of it, and moved out) and all it did was make me angry! all i ever wanted was my parents to TALK to me...explain things..whenever i asked "why" all they ever said was "because i said so" or "because thats the rule"..i never understook their "reasoning"....and i honestly hated them for spanking me all the time.....so yaa...i dont spank anymore.....havent since she was 5 (she'll be 8 in 2 weeks)

I spanked my DD twice in her life and each time the look of "Mommy I can't believe you just hurt me like that" was enough for me to say no more. I got hit but moreso my brothers did when we were kids and I agree, I was fearful of my dad and angry with him and my mom for letting it happen. I didn't have any kind of relationship with my dad until I was in college and out of the house. That's not what I want for my kids. There are other forms of discipline that work better without my kid fearing me.

newmom0508
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 8:38 AM
2 moms liked this
When my kids behavior is extreme and could put their livelihood in danger... You better believe I spank them. Having them scared to do that behavior again is better than them attempting it and hurting themselves. ( last time I spanked my 4 year old was when he tried to climb out of a window)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)