Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My toddler wont eat hardly anything!! PLEASE HELP!!!

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:19 AM
  • 11 Replies

My son is almost 3 and I struggle everyday with what he's going to eat.  He wont eat any meat or vegetables.  Mainly his diet consists of a bagel or poptart for breakfast, breadsticks, pizza, A grill cheese, yogurt and applesauce. He'll eat ramen sometimes but no other kind of pasta.  I feel like he's getting tired of what hes eating but he absolutly wont try anything else. Like yesterday all he would eat all day was a bagel, 2 yogurts some fruit snacks and a pudding.  His diet and what i can get him to eat consumes my entire day!!!!!! Any ideas?

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
beadingmom17
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:21 AM
Put a tray of carrot sticks and celery out on the table. Refuse to get him anything else...if he's hungry, he'll eat what he can get to.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ally_346_2010
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:22 AM
My dd was like that. She refused all meats & fruit & pasta.
She loved bread.
We cut out all snacks and at meal time she would get her meat first, once she ate that then veggies, then fruit.
She was hungry so she ate.
Her lunch is also a light lunch. She doesn't have the appetite for 3 big meals per day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LancesMom
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:40 AM

You can try to hide vegies in foods he likes. You could hide a lot in pudding yogurt and applesauce.

bamababe1975
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:22 AM

We used to sneak in veggies in fun meals for my nephews who were also very picky eaters - like a grilled cheese sandwich with peas or something mixed into the cheese. We'd give them funky names and try to make it fun for them to eat the veggies.

Join us in the Kids' Health Group!

busymom64064
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:26 AM

what my son likes are "ice cream" shakes........which are really smoothies. He loooooooooooves them. I put spinach and a few other fruits in with it, some honey, yogurt, some juice (i get the v8 juice but only put like 1/2 a cup or so), and some ice. Its awesome because mason thinks it is ice cream.

also try the sneaky chef book.

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting beadingmom17:

Put a tray of carrot sticks and celery out on the table. Refuse to get him anything else...if he's hungry, he'll eat what he can get to.

Exactly.  I might put strawberries, apple slices, peanut butter etc on this tray but I sure the hell wouldn't be giving a child who doesn't eat well pudding and ramen.  STOP letting it consume you unless he has a medical issue he isn't going to starve himself.  Your letting HIM run you.  Offer 3 balanced meals a day.  Give him a reasonable amount of time to eat them say 30 minutes or so then excuse him, smile, kiss the top of his head and DROP IT.  offer 2-3 snacks a day.  Stop obsessing over it and stressing you and him out.

MamaLiz521
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Thanks for all your input....I guess lately ive just been giving him the stuff i know he'll eat to avoid the fight. Thats exactly what my mom says too, "If he's hungry enough, He'll eat it"! I've never known a kid in my life who doesn't like peanut butter and jelly!!! He just WONT try anything new.

bbmkfo03
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Quoting MamaLiz521:

Thanks for all your input....I guess lately ive just been giving him the stuff i know he'll eat to avoid the fight. Thats exactly what my mom says too, "If he's hungry enough, He'll eat it"! I've never known a kid in my life who doesn't like peanut butter and jelly!!! He just WONT try anything new.

He probably would try new things if that was the only option. You have to be consistent and keep trying them, don't give up. My DD isn't a fan of PBJ either. She knows she only gets things like mac & cheese on special days (i.e. I'm tired or running late).

bethgoedeken
by Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:44 PM

my oldest was the same way. just try to sneak veggies into what he eats and he'll grow out of this eventually. you can hide pureed carrots in so much, or put some veggies in his ramen. and when you make him grilled cheese use whole grain bread. he'll grow out of this eventually. 

Quoting MamaLiz521:

mamaeagle216
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:58 PM
I read an article ( I believe it was CM associated but I could be wrong ) about a child who literally couldn't eat anything. They had texture/sensory issues and would only eat white things. That kind of put things in prospective for me because my tree ear old son is selective about te food he likes ( picky ) but at least he's eating something. Try and offer as healthy as possible. Minimum snacking all that. But I am just happy that my son doesn't have any serious issues that keep him from eating things.
Good luck and I hope things will resolve themselves for you. Some kids are just picky. Hopefully he grows out of it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)