Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Prenatal Genetic Testing: Will You Have It? Did you have genetic testing done when you were pregnant?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:52 AM
  • 15 Replies

Prenatal Genetic Testing: Will You Have It?

Posted by Deborah Cruz on April 18, 2012 

ultrasoundWhen I was pregnant  (the first time at age 32; the second at 34), my doctors asked me if I wanted any prenatal genetic testing. They assured me that I was very low risk, but asked if I would consider terminating if the results showedsome sort of genetic issue.

Both times, I was appalled that they had the nerve to even ask if I would do such a thing. No matter what, I would love the child I was carrying. I was resolute that I would never terminate, so why would I test? I declined the offer.

It sounds naïve now. Thankfully, both girls were born healthy without incident. 

But now, I'm 39 and if I were pregnant, I would definitely consider genetic testing -- not because I would love my baby any less but because I'm older. The difference between 33 and 39, doesn't feel very different. Hell, I still feel 25. But my body has lived the life span of a teenager since then. Yes, I’m in good health and yes, my pregnancies were easy and without incident but there is a higher risk now that my eggs are older too.

If I were pregnant with a child who would be born with a genetic disorder, it could mean that I would have to be her caregiver for her entire life. Would I be alive long enough to be sure that I could commit to that? This is an important thing to consider. It’s not just about what I want anymore.

If I were to have a beautiful child who was going to be born with a genetic disorder that would incur an exorbitant cost of medical treatment with no cure, could I afford the cost? Could I provide everything that this child would need or want from me, financially? Am I strong enough to be there emotionally? Could I be the mother this special child deserved and needed?

How would this affect my other children? I would have to consider how having a child with a genetic disorder such as Down Syndrome or Trisomy 18 would effect the care, time and mothering that I could give my other two children? How would it affect my marriage?

Did you have genetic testing done when you were pregnant? Why or why not?

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:57 AM

I got pregnant at 43 and delivered at 44.  I allowed non-evasive testing and refused any that was evasive.  For me it was such a miracle that I got pregnant between my age and not even trying i wanted no risk however small that could cause a miscarriage.  To say its naive to not test to me is narrow minded.  Its not naive its a choice.

bbmkfo03
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 3:26 PM

I did opt for the testing with both pregnancies because if there's something wrong, I'd like to know, not to terminate but just to be prepared.

TinaG34
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 3:31 PM
Same here

Quoting bbmkfo03:

I did opt for the testing with both pregnancies because if there's something wrong, I'd like to know, not to terminate but just to be prepared.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DAHLONEGAMOMMY
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 3:33 PM

I did not have it done. I knew that in my eyes, my babies would be perfect no matter what. 

Momof2Stepof3
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 3:37 PM

My first I was forced to have genetic testing second I refused it after all the stress I wen through with my first.

With my first I was told there was some thing wrong I had to go to this special hospital and they did more testing and told me all the risks. Freaked me out big time.

Thankfully only odd thing that happen was he was a rare breech and I had to options A)they go up in me break his legs and turn him or B) C-Section they were pushing for option A I went with B though they kept on saying they wanted to go with A my son came a week before the big day so I was rushed in for c section.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 3:41 PM

I only had the blood test and if it came out low or high then they would suggest an amnio.  My blood test was fine.  A lady I worked with her's came out maybe Downs and she was 34 so she had an amnio and it was fine. 

skyes_mama
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 3:48 PM
I was talking to a friend of mine and she has had childhood arthritis. And bc of that she has limited mobility in her hands. With her son it looked like he would have downs syndrome she had testing done and it was negative, but says se would have terminated bc there is no way she could care for a special needs child. I hate that she feels that way, bc anything could happen after birth to make the child special needs then what would she do. She said she didn't know, but hopes that never happens.

When I was pregnant with my DD they told us that they thought she would be a "water head baby" I can't spell the proper term(I'm on my phone). And I had to go for extra testing so that they would know how to progress after the baby was born.

Thankfully she was ok. She just had a REALLY big he's or her little body, lol. If they saw a problem I would want testing so that I could be prepared. Not to terminate.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Go.N.Green
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 3:49 PM
I went through this with my second. I got a call from my obgyn saying my alpha fetal protein test came back abnormal. I was told it could be a couple things but they wanted me to come in for an ultrasound. When I had my ultrasound the doctor told me I could just be farther along then we had originally thought or the baby could have down syndrome. I was a week behind the date we thought. I was at risk for a ds baby. I was sent to the state hospital since they are was more advanced then a little hicktown hospital. I met with a genetic counselor and had my ultrasound. In the end I was still at risk but it was not as high. They offered an amnio. I weighed out the pros and cons. I denied it. The small risk of infection and miscarriage was not worth knowing if something was wrong with my baby who I would love no matter what. She doesn't have down syndrome and was born perfect.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
weirdkids
I'm mom to 1 DS and 2 skids with genetic disorders. The mutations that our kids have though are not life threatening or anything. They arnt even crippling so I guess we are lucky
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
staffordmommy
But its never 100%! Ya know Tim Tebows mother was told to terminate her pregnancy and she didn't,... Look where he is today!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)