Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Lactose free formula or Soy?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:21 PM
  • 9 Replies

My son is almost 5 months old. I lost my milk supply early but never strictly could BF, I had to use both. He's been using only Similac Advance omega 3&6 since he was born. He's always had gas problems and bowel movement problems. You can clearly tell he gets in pain when he has gas and cannot get it out, sometimes he'll be sleeping and start crying until I help him push his legs up to his tummy and force the gas out.
He is CONSTANTLY puking after bottles and when he is not, he is crying being his tummy hurts. I've talked to my doctor countless times and I have an appointment coming up where I'm going to force her to give me a reference to see a pediatrician. However, my gut tells me he SHOULDN'T be on this formula anymore and that he likely has a lactose intolerance, just as I do.

Should I put him on soy or sensitive(lactose free) formula and should I do it without aprooval from the doctor? If you tihnk I should, how do you suggest switching his formula, slowly or just put him right on the new one??

Thanks mommas!!!

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
C8Baxter
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:23 PM
Soy is full of estrogen and should be avoided. And you should discuss it with your doctor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JBbean
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:25 PM

I have talked to my doctor a hundred times. She says "babies puke, its normal for them to have gas, they are humans too"

Quoting C8Baxter:

Soy is full of estrogen and should be avoided. And you should discuss it with your doctor.

C8Baxter
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:34 PM
Ok? Formula is hard to process. Babies do get gas. If he's arching and crying all the time, he may have reflux. Otherwise, dr is right. Babies spit up.

Changing formula may or may not solve the problem. If you want a special formula, you could get insurance to cover it. I simply suggest you ask your doctor about switching and how to do so. It isn't easy to cold turkey switch it, and it takes a while for baby to readjust.
Quoting JBbean:

I have talked to my doctor a hundred times. She says "babies puke, its normal for them to have gas, they are humans too"

Quoting C8Baxter:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 2:03 PM

My dd had gas pains even with Soy etc.  She has reflux even as an 18 yo. 

amonkeymom
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 2:25 PM

I'm unsure on switching, but I'd talk to a pediatrician, or at least a ped nurse first.  You might also consider having him tested for reflux.

I hope he feels better soon.

6girlsrock
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 2:27 PM
1 mom liked this
My kids were allergic to lactose & soy. Lactose free Enfamil was what we chose. It relieved the spitting, vomiting, colicky jags, and stomach pain.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pookah1203
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 2:28 PM
Soy will cause more gas issues. I'd try lactose free or sensitive.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rachel_Neocate
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 1:50 PM
My LO has multiple food intolerances. He cannot handle dairy, soy, or eggs. We figured this out when he was just a few weeks old because he was having green mucousy stools with blood, ezcema, reflux, and colic. He was reacting to the proteins in my breastmilk. I had to remove all dairy, soy, eggs from my diet and he got better. But before he got better he was always so terribly gassy, could never settle or get comfortable, had trouble sleeping because of his gas. He is my third and I knew it wasn't "normal baby gas" So if you feel like something else is going on definitely talk to the doctor or go to a new one if you have to. I would consider switching to a hydrolysate formula like Nutramigen or Alimentum. They are broken down into partial protein chains making them easier to digest. You could try soy, but half of all babies who have trouble with dairy proteins also cannot tolerate soy proteins, they are very similar. So you may see the same resluts with a soy formula, but you won't know until you try. It is possible that your LO is sufferring from reflux as well. There is a possibility that the reflux will clear up with a formula change, but you may need to talk to your doctor about using reflux medicine in the mean time to make your LO more comfortable. Here is more information about MSPI (milk soy protein intolerance) if you're interested, look it over so you have a good idea of what to talk to the doctor about: : http://bit.ly/sYdNi5 (video) and blog entry: http://bit.ly/AwwBd6 Good luck!!

Rachel  ~ Mom to 3 boys
Augustboy02 - Sensational Sensory kid
D
ecemberboy04 - former reflux baby
Augustboy10 - MFPI

NCMOMMIE18
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 3:22 PM

I had the same problem with my 4 1/2 month old and switched to sensitive and it really helped with her gas! Also use mylicon ( Little Tummies ) 30 mins before feedings. Also her pedatrician put her on zantac which was the most helpful of all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)