Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OK Question

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:24 PM
  • 10 Replies

I grow up being spanked. I not sure how to word this right. When does spanking become beating? Like what is the line where it stops being punishment and it become abuse? I spank my kids. But never with an item like a spoon or a belt. I don't even leave a red mark. I not spank my DS who is 7. Time out works on him. He hates being still. But my DD is 3. No does not seem to be working. I spank hit (with my hand) like once or twice. Its enough. I never see a hand print or a red mark. But I am not sure what to do else But I am sacred other will think abuse. So when is it ok and when does it stop being ok? I am always look at a better way to do things.Time out dont seem to do anything either.

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommyof2114
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:27 PM
When you hurt them and you spank more than 2x's etc.
imamom88
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:29 PM

I never spank if I am mad or really up sit. I never want to hurt my kids or take my anger out on them.

Quoting Mommyof2114:

When you hurt them and you spank more than 2x's etc.

sreichelt26
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:38 PM

How you are handling it is appropriate for spanking.

Christy644
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:46 PM
Irs spanking when you are disciplining. It becomes beating when it's posted on cafemom.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rachel95.
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:48 PM
Spanking with an object or leaving a mark is abuse according to my early childhood textbook.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
imamom88
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Thanks

Quoting Rachel95.:

Spanking with an object or leaving a mark is abuse according to my early childhood textbook.

imamom88
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:53 PM

I never spank out of anger. I dont want to hurt her. Just want her to know what she is doing is not allowed.

Quoting sreichelt26:

How you are handling it is appropriate for spanking.

Tinkerbellmama
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:53 PM

That is also the definition used by CPS in the state of Washington.

Quoting Rachel95.:

Fifi834
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:58 PM
IMO, when spanking is overused, it becomes abuse.

It should not be done sporadically, and never out of direct anger. And it should only be used as a last resort. One pop is enough.

If you find it ineffective, i.e., bad behavior doesn't stop, then, do not proceed with further spankings.

And, do not refer to them as "beatings."

SonicSpeeder
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:48 PM

I don't think your going overboard.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)