Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you ladies keep the house clean?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:42 PM
  • 17 Replies

Once-upon-a-time I kept the house clean and pretty darn organised too, but once my DD became Mobile it started getting harder. Now that she's 4 and I'm balancing everything, I find myself wondering how to do it (and failing miserably as I sit and wonder lol) And how so many others, with so much more on their plates, manage to keep it up.

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Amybelle
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Housekeeper

Soulmate-2-R
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:45 PM

easy...i clean it everyday....i spend about an hour or so everyday just doing housework. I dont leave the house unless everything is clean and put away...if you have a clean place to start with...doing the little maintenance every day to keep it that way doesn't take long. plus my dh is a huge help and does the laundry, takes out the dishes and more times than not her makes our bed....so having a clean and organized house is pretty easy

DixieL
by Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:46 PM

It's a hard thing to do when you have small kids and no money for a housekeeper. I could used to keep my house clean too. But I changed because I can't stand up long at a time. If I stand up more than twenty minutes or so my back starts hurting so bad I can't take a deep breath. Now my house is a mess too and I don't have money for someone to help me

Clark7258
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:58 PM
I too have recently explored what works and what doesn't work when it comes to house cleaning. I have three kiddos- 4 mo., 5, and 6. I was going crazy trying to keep up with all the different hats us moms have to wear and was falling short everytime :-( But I talked with some moms who have made it an art to have everything organized. This is what I have gleaned from their advice. I clean every day. Not scrubbing toilets or hand mopping the floors, but making sure things are clean and tidy. I also started waking up and hour or two before my kids get up so that I can throw a couple of loads of laundry in and do my cleaning before the craziness starts. ALthough I am not really a morning person I have found that waking up early allows me more time for the things that interest me during the day because all the clening and laundry for the day is out of the way. Lastly, I had to start realizing that my kids are perfectly capable to to start taking responsibilty for certain things. I started training them to pick up after themselves (and honestly I should have started this a lot sooner). Its the little things like rooms clean, putting paper plates and cups in the trash, wiping the crumbs off the counter/table, putting away their own laundry after I have folded them, and recently taught them to make sure they clean the bathroom counter off after they brush their teeth. These little things, believe it or not, make a world of difference. I also talked my hubby into having a cleaning lady come in once a month to help with the deep cleaning. Now that I am more organized and I have a routine I feel much more energized and refreshed and things actually get done!!!!

Good Luck!
missamanda86
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:59 PM

i clean everyday...there are some chores i dont do everyday (dusting, vacuuming, bathroom) but i keep up on laundry dishes and general pick up everyday...i have 2 VERY active toddlers (who right now are chasing each other in circles) and have one on the way

msswisher08
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:02 PM
1 mom liked this
I send my 3yr old out with daddy and my 8mth old I give a bottle and he usually falls asleep. And if I'm spring cleaning it's off to grandmas the kiddos go lol. (ESP when we clean the toy box)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
msswisher08
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:05 PM
But my question is how do you keep it up when your first Prego... I'm so tired I have no "gump" to do anything... So it's like now when my 8mth old sleeps I'm laying down also.

Quoting msswisher08:

I send my 3yr old out with daddy and my 8mth old I give a bottle and he usually falls asleep. And if I'm spring cleaning it's off to grandmas the kiddos go lol. (ESP when we clean the toy box)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CayShek
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I was in a similar situation as you. I went from not working & just being a married college student in an apartment to working 40+hours/week, owning a house, and THREE dogs. Our house was always so messy and I knew I had to get stuff under control before our baby gets here in august. I hate cleaning on weekends so I decided to do one chore a night after work to keep the house clean.
M: laundry & bathroom (no mopping)
T: dust
W: vacuum & mop every room, furniture, & stairs
T: laundry & kitchen surfaces, stove, wash bedding if needed or I save bedding for a weekend project.
Fri, sat, sun I just do small projects or random things around the house or yard. It took about 90 minutes at first to get this down every night but now I breeze thru it in about 45!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomofBoys838
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 7:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I found Flylady a couple of years ago...she has great advice and a plan that is posted every day.  I wish I had known about her when my boys were younger.

www.flylady.com

ladybugMarie

HIJKLM
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 7:37 PM
1 mom liked this
At that age have them "help" me so I could keep a closer eye on them and keep them from destroying things but I never got back to cleaning as well as before kids... You just gotta pick your battles. I only clean floors once a week instead of daily. I only clean bathrooms every other week instead of weekly. Etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)