Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When they test your limits, what do you do?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:37 PM
  • 5 Replies

My DD is only 4, almost 5 and for the last month she is really testing the limits. I tell her and ask her things calmly a few times, then I raise my voice, then I yell. Then she laughs. Then I have to get mean. Then she might listen.

I don't want her to think she can get away with misbehaving now because then she'll never listen when she gets older. But I want to be able to have fun with her every once and a while.

I'm tired of having to be "mean" for her to listen. Any advice?

ninja

No Regrets

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Jamie1972
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:38 PM
Do u punish her when she misbehaves or doesnt listen? Do u reward good behavior?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs_Incredible
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Time outs. First and every time. She'll get to know that momma means business without you raising your voice. I used to be a yeller... bad. I ALMOST never (because I can't say never, truly) yell at my kids anymore. They do something they know isn't a proper behavior, I tell them time out and they serve their time immediately. My kids are 7 and 4 and it's been this way for about three years. 

SonicSpeeder
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:55 PM

I always reward good behavior. She can earn candy, ice cream, new toys and TV time. I want so bad to be able to give her these rewards, but she just rarely earns them lately.

I usually punish bad behavior, but I try to give her as many chances as possible to get it right. I usually end up punishing when I am at wits end.

Quoting Jamie1972:

Do u punish her when she misbehaves or doesnt listen? Do u reward good behavior?

Bmat
by Barb on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I did not raise my voice.  The boys learned that there were no second chances, that what I said was done or they suffered the consequences. Sometime it meant standing in a corner, sometimes going to their room instead of watching a favorite TV show. It didn't take them long to realize that I wasn't kidding when I said something. I always allowed them to question, and I explained, and if I made a mistake, which sometimes happened, then I set it right.

Jamie1972
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Try for a week no chances. Utellher to do something and if its not done then timeout for 4 min ,5 min when ahe turns 5. She will get that when mommy says no or do this u mean it and her behavior will change. Also try whispring when shes beung loud. She will have to stop in order to listen.

Quoting SonicSpeeder:

I always reward good behavior. She can earn candy, ice cream, new toys and TV time. I want so bad to be able to give her these rewards, but she just rarely earns them lately.

I usually punish bad behavior, but I try to give her as many chances as possible to get it right. I usually end up punishing when I am at wits end.

Quoting Jamie1972:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)