Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Night Terrors?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:38 PM
  • 7 Replies

Possible night terrors? Ive heard of this but how do u know if your child has this? Who diagnoses this?

My son is 3 years old and for the past 4 nights he wakes up several times throughout the night screaming and balling his eyes out. He tries pushing me and my husband away, he opens his eyes but its like he doesnt see us or hes not aware that its us.. He crues anywhere from 15 mins-1 hour.... If you try to shake him to wake him up that doesnt work. Theres no way to comfort him and it breaks my heart. Last night was the worst, he had a hard time breathing because he was freaking out and crying so hard, What can i do to help my son?

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:43 PM
I have experience a similar situation with my 2 1/2 yr old lately... I try to lay by his bed n rub he's back a lil with the shh sound, telling him ok mommy is here... Daddy does the same... Sometimes it works but I have thought if getting online n doing some research to learn more also thought of asking his doctor...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:44 PM
Check with your pedi, but it sure sounds like night terrors.
My son gets them sometimes when he is extremely overtired.

If that's what it is, they won't have recollection of it, and they are harder on momma than on kid.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:49 PM
You can read more on this website:
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Definitely sounds like night t errors. My son has them sometimes. I asked the Dr about it and she asked me if my son was still taking naps. I realized that it was happening at the same time as he was cutting out his naps. I agree with the previous poster that said he is over tired. It sucks that there isnt much that you can do for them when they are having one. I just try to comfort my son the best I can.

vegepunkstr. Get yours at

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:57 PM
I don't have any advise other then see your pediatrician. You might want to insist on a sleep study too. I hope your little guy gets better. It's really scary when your child is scard and theirs nothing you can do to calm them.
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Quoting Yuriko_chan:

What causes them and how do you get through them? Lack of sleep, big change, and heridarty cause them.  You get through by trying to minimze them until hopefully they grow out of themHow do you know its that and not waking up scared?Night terrors do no wake the child up. Also terrors happen 2-4 hours after you put the kid to sleep.  They occur when they are trying to switch to REM. They won't even know you are there and if you touch them it can actually make things worse instead of comfort them  Are they related to sleep walking?Yes  if one or both parents slept walked the chances for night terrors in their children is WAY higherIf one sibling has them, will the other, and are they hereditary?  Yes they are hereditiary so siblings could all have them then again maybe is not a given but yes much higher chance if one does the others willSorry for all the questions, I just want some answers for my little one who's four.

My DD has them we were up to 5-6 times a week and I got serious about my research.  We are down to now 1-2 times a month. Here is what I found and what I did to get where we are.

1. sleep I make her lay down everyday and attempt a nap or at least quiet time.  The adage sleep begets sleep is true and being over tired and over stimulated can trigger the terrors

2. We now 30-45 minutes before bed time settle down.  lights go lower, voices go lower no running around just quiet wind down time together.

3. I got oil warmers and put lavender oil in them.  It is proven to help people sleep better.

4. I give her a tickle after book with the lights off and if I speak its a whisper. I gently trace my fingers up and sown her back and leggs.

Its to the point now I can tell you when she will have them .  Hope this helps and remeber if it is terrors DO NOT WAKE THE CHILD!!  I know thats hard.  My DD will raise her hands screaming MOMMY MOMMY HELP it breaks my heart but using these steps they are almost gone thank goodness.

by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 7:50 AM

I don't know what to do except pick them up and hold them and rock them til they fall asleep again that's what I had to do with our youngest she really had those bad almost every night off and on for 2 years. Every once in a while she'll wake up like that nowadays too.  Usually it's after she's gotten upset or sometimes her mind is racing when she goes to bed I think. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)