• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Phone suggestions for unlimited texting please! Need something cheap for my daughter.

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:19 AM
  • 15 Replies

Kyra's dad and I recently (6 weeks ago or so) split up. So far, she's handling it okay and has really taken to texting which ever parent she's not with. We want to get her her own phone so she doesn't have to constantly ask to use the other parent's phone (for example, she'll ask all the time to see my phone to send her dad a simple "hi dad" text, or ask him for his to send me one). It'll also help her stay in contact with some out of the area/out of state family on her own. So, yeah, we've already decided we want to get her a phone. That's not the question though. Where should we go for it? Does anyone know of anywhere that will just let you activate a phone you already have? I am upgrading my own, and when I did last time I gave her my old one to use as an alarm and camera (about a year ago, and she's still taking awesome care of it), so there will be two just laying around here. Seems a waste to buy another one.

What we're wanting is either unlimited text or a lot of messages options, very few talk minutes since she doesn't call much, she prefers texting because it helps her with her letters and spelling.

I found one place that looked great, just $15/month for 60 talk minutes and unlimited text and awesome sounding parental controls. But the cheapest phone they have that she could use (w/the qwerty key board) is the exact same one she has had for the past year. Seems a major waste of money to buy the same phone we already have sitting here. Her dad and I use Sprint, but their cheapest is still more than we want to pay for it (we plan to either split the bill every month or just switch off on who pays it every month).

So, suggestions?

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.stella.
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:22 AM
T-Mobile will let you use a phone you already have as lo g as it uses a sim card. I know they have text only plans too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kiwismommy19
by Diamond Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:29 AM

What's a sim card exactly and where would I find it? I took the back off the phone and the battery out and there was nothing under it. The phone she has now is a sanyo spc2700 if that makes a difference.

Quoting .stella.:

T-Mobile will let you use a phone you already have as lo g as it uses a sim card. I know they have text only plans too.

justkeeplaughin
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:32 AM
WAL MART has straight talk and if you buy a replacement SIM card you can switch your sprint phone over to them. Its who I have and I don't any problems with them. Unlimited text with some minutes is 35.00 a month...I think. I pay 45.00 for unlimited everything. You would have to check there coverage to see if in your area. Also, cricket has a 25.00 plan for 300 min/unlimited text. And GO READY has a 20.00 plan for 500 minutes and 1000 texts....thats what my daughter has and she hasn't went over ...yet! LOL
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kiwismommy19
by Diamond Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:37 AM

Thanks, that's a lot to look into!

Quoting justkeeplaughin:

WAL MART has straight talk and if you buy a replacement SIM card you can switch your sprint phone over to them. Its who I have and I don't any problems with them. Unlimited text with some minutes is 35.00 a month...I think. I pay 45.00 for unlimited everything. You would have to check there coverage to see if in your area. Also, cricket has a 25.00 plan for 300 min/unlimited text. And GO READY has a 20.00 plan for 500 minutes and 1000 texts....thats what my daughter has and she hasn't went over ...yet! LOL

justkeeplaughin
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:39 AM
If you have a sims card... A little rectangle piece of plastic under the battery...then you have to stay with your original phone carrier or buy a new phone. The phones that do not have sims cards are set internally to only use only original phone carriers towers. As far as I know,I could not be up to date on my technology... LOL

Quoting Kiwismommy19:

What's a sim card exactly and where would I find it? I took the back off the phone and the battery out and there was nothing under it. The phone she has now is a sanyo spc2700 if that makes a difference.

Quoting .stella.:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kiwismommy19
by Diamond Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:40 AM

Now that you mention it, that sounds familiar. I think my mom ran into a similar problem when she was trying to use an old phone for my sister. Thanks!

Quoting justkeeplaughin:

If you have a sims card... A little rectangle piece of plastic under the battery...then you have to stay with your original phone carrier or buy a new phone. The phones that do not have sims cards are set internally to only use only original phone carriers towers. As far as I know,I could not be up to date on my technology... LOL

Quoting Kiwismommy19:

Quoting .stella.:

justkeeplaughin
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:44 AM
Have you checked into Kajeet? It is a phone company just for kids. You can lock out the phone so it only calls mom, dad, grandparents, ect. Ypu can program it so it won't ring during school hours and [my favorite] it has a GPS program that text you whan you child walks in the door after school to let you know there home. You can also track them on it...if needed. If I got another phone I would get my daughter one thru Kajeet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
charliebean
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:45 AM
I'm with MetroPCS, which isn't available everywhere, but it's $40/month for unlimited talk, text, and web and the service isn't too bad. There are places that can take your old phone and flash it so you can use it with any company.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justkeeplaughin
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:46 AM
Dear me...I think I need to turn on my spell check on my phone! Must be too early and my brain still half asleep! LOL

Quoting justkeeplaughin:

Have you checked into Kajeet? It is a phone company just for kids. You can lock out the phone so it only calls mom, dad, grandparents, ect. Ypu can program it so it won't ring during school hours and [my favorite] it has a GPS program that text you whan you child walks in the door after school to let you know there home. You can also track them on it...if needed. If I got another phone I would get my daughter one thru Kajeet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justkeeplaughin
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:48 AM
I didn't know they could do that to your old phone! Thanks for the info!

Quoting charliebean:

I'm with MetroPCS, which isn't available everywhere, but it's $40/month for unlimited talk, text, and web and the service isn't too bad. There are places that can take your old phone and flash it so you can use it with any company.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)