Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help... Leaving the kids for the first time

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:00 PM
  • 4 Replies
Ok, so i know im going to sound like a big baby here but,
I'm going out of state tonight (from va to mi) for the first time with out my daughters (age 5 & 2) & i'm just going crazy thinking something bad is going to happen when i'm gone. I also feel bad b.c my oldest has been crying all night & morning that im leaving.

Is ther any tips on how to make us all feel better? I'll be gone for about a week. (a family member passed away in mi)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Bmat
by Barb on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:07 PM

It is too bad that you can't take them with you. I've found that having little ones around family in a time of grief is very helpful.  To make things better, you can call them every day,  several times a day if you want. Watch your own attitude, if the children see you upset and tearful then they will pick up on that, too. I am sorry about the death in your family.

MornmyOfOne
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:18 PM
Thanks.... I wish i could take them too, but they asked that no kids come. Which is why my hubby is staying home (which does make me feel a little better). & this my aunt who passed away (due to cancer) so its not like i couldnt go... thanks i'll try to remember that when i leave to keep myself together in fornt of them.

Quoting Bmat:

It is too bad that you can't take them with you. I've found that having little ones around family in a time of grief is very helpful.  To make things better, you can call them every day,  several times a day if you want. Watch your own attitude, if the children see you upset and tearful then they will pick up on that, too. I am sorry about the death in your family.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:22 PM

I am so sorry. I lost my uncle about 6 months ago.

If you can give it an upbeat twist- talk about fun things they can do with Daddy, then maybe this would help?  Yes it will be painful to present a calm face to them, especially if they are crying.  You will soon be with them again,  and they'll be so glad to see you. :)

Quoting MornmyOfOne:

Thanks.... I wish i could take them too, but they asked that no kids come. Which is why my hubby is staying home (which does make me feel a little better). & this my aunt who passed away (due to cancer) so its not like i couldnt go... thanks i'll try to remember that when i leave to keep myself together in fornt of them.

Quoting Bmat:

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Make it fun for them...

Take some silly pictures of yourself and with them and put them up on their bedroom walls.  Make a special note or picture (or more than one) for each day you're gone.  They can open it in the morning - or multiple throughout the day - it would be something exciting for them.  Have Daddy plan something fun to do with them, and have them take pictures - knowing they get to tell you all about it when you get back.  (something as simple as going to the park would work - it doesn't need to be anything crazy expensive.)  Call when you can.  

You'll be okay. :)  It's hard to leave your kiddos the first time, but it never turns out to be as bad as we make it seem in our heads.  

Sorry about your loss, too.  :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)