• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Co-sleeping

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:08 PM
  • 25 Replies
1 mom liked this

If anyone is againts co-sleeping what are your honests reasons for it? Those who are for it, what's your honest reasons? I am a single mom of a DD who is 7 1/2. She's always slept in my bed. Partly because it was easier and also we live by ourselves so it makes me feel safer knowing she is next to me. (I tend to sleep through things, now that she is a little older).

I'm just trying to debate if this is a good/normal thing and wanted some opinions. She is a crazy sleeper so it's hard for me to get comfortable rest, but it's not a huge deal breaker for me. She also doesn't have a good bed and or anything under to support it, but she does have one and her own room. Thank you!!

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
piwife
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:29 PM
1 mom liked this
I bedshare... cosleeping is same room different beds. Why I did it it came natural to me. I find it very unatural to put my babies in a crib in another room. I bedshare with dd 2 yrs and ds 18 mts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emandab
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this

My girls 3, 4 have mostly always slept in their own room, except when they were babies then they were in a bassinet next to my bed.  I never wanted it to become a huge issue later on trying to get them OUT of my bed when they got older.  I've heard and seen that it can be a very hard habit to break.  Because at some point you are going to want your bed back to yourself.  So that's our usual, they sleep in they're own room.  But daddy does like to cuddle up with them sometimes, I do too. So every once in while they sleep with us, they like it and so do we.  But I never have a problem getting them in their own room the next night.

saeshine
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Hmm... I always thought it meant basically the same thing.I googled it to make sure and this is what I found..

• Co-sleeping is a practice in which babies and young children sleep in close proximity to one or both parents, as opposed to a separate room. It is standard practice in many parts of the world, and is practiced by a significant minority in countries where cribs are also used. ...

(^^^^^^^^^^^not that wikipedia is super legit or anything, lol.)

• Practice whereby children and parents regularly sleep together in an adult bed.

So, regardless I hear what your saying. It came natural to me at first as well. Mine is at that age, that I am not quite so sure. The other night for instance, she stayed at a friends (I know the mom very well) but she didn't feel comfortable in her friends bed so she went in her moms room and said she couldn't sleep because her daughter was snoring:) and went and snuggled with her mom...Fortunately she is also a single mom, but still, I am just wondering if it's still a good idea. thanks for your input tho.
Quoting piwife:

I bedshare... cosleeping is same room different beds. Why I did it it came natural to me. I find it very unatural to put my babies in a crib in another room. I bedshare with dd 2 yrs and ds 18 mts.

saeshine
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Ya,  I agree. Maybe  I am just at the point where I want my own bed..Never thought of it like that either. It's been a while!

Quoting emandab:

My girls 3, 4 have mostly always slept in their own room, except when they were babies then they were in a bassinet next to my bed.  I never wanted it to become a huge issue later on trying to get them OUT of my bed when they got older.  I've heard and seen that it can be a very hard habit to break.  Because at some point you are going to want your bed back to yourself.  So that's our usual, they sleep in they're own room.  But daddy does like to cuddle up with them sometimes, I do too. So every once in while they sleep with us, they like it and so do we.  But I never have a problem getting them in their own room the next night.

saeshine
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:59 PM

BUMP!

KairisMama
by Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:00 PM

I don't like it, for I want room when I sleep. I like to stretch out, and be able to readjust, etc. On the occasional nights my kid or kids may crawl into my bed, I sleep like crap, as does DH.

AlmostFamous
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:02 PM
I co slept or bed shared which ever it is called, they slept in my bed, both of my girls from birth til about a year and a half, I BF and it made it easier, also I felt like it was a great bonding experience. I wouldn't have had it any other way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kiminsean
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:03 PM
I co sleep with 8mo old and when ds2 was a baby i co slept with him as well. Ds1 didnt become mine fulltime until he was 3+. No bed sharing after around 2 years old. Though the boys would come sleep next to us if they woke up in the middle of the night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
saeshine
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:04 PM

The bonding was definitely great, especially being an itty bitty baby, but now my girl is 7 1/2 and long as hell. lol I probably should have stopped it a while ago, but then you get comfy yourself:)

Quoting AlmostFamous:

I co slept with both of my girls from birth til about a year and a half, I BF and it made it easier, also I felt like it was a great bonding experience. I wouldn't have had it any other way.

AlmostFamous
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol, my girls still come in when they have a bad dream or something they are 7 & 4, and my 7yo has asthma and when she is going through an attack, and has to be on a nebulizer I sleep in her room. I just feel more comfortable when I am right there in case she needs something. We have a split plan house and I hate that my room is so far from theirs.

Quoting saeshine:

The bonding was definitely great, especially being an itty bitty baby, but now my girl is 7 1/2 and long as hell. lol I probably should have stopped it a while ago, but then you get comfy yourself:)

Quoting AlmostFamous:

I co slept with both of my girls from birth til about a year and a half, I BF and it made it easier, also I felt like it was a great bonding experience. I wouldn't have had it any other way.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)