• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Health Insurance

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:01 PM
  • 11 Replies

Has anyone heard of UNited Health One insurance? My DH is looking at switching our health insurance because we pay an outrageous amount and hardly use it. What we pay in premiums each year exceeds what we actually spend if we paid in cash. He just received a quote from this place but I have never heard of it so I thought I would get some input. Thanks ladies!

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovinmyboys...
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:03 PM
We have United Health , but havve never heard of UH One.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rebeccasmly
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:47 PM

I just went back and checked the paperwork we got from them. Its part of the same company. How do you like it?

bbmkfo03
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:57 PM

I have United Healthcare and it's pretty good. Just be sure to read all the fine print about what they will and will not cover. Blue Cross & Blue Shield is one of the best insurance companies and even they have some crappy coverage plans. Each plan is different.

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:33 AM

The best insurance we ever had was with United.  Cost us 0 to have our DD.  This was with 3 NST's a week, 3rd sonograms 2x a month...c-section meds for GD ETC BUT that has no bearing on what plan you may be thinking of using.  ALL companies offer many different plans so while yes if you have never heard of United they are a good company doesn't mean your getting a good plan.

rebeccasmly
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:14 AM
My DH received quotes for a few plans. Now I have the joy of looking through each one and reading all the fine print. There are some things you can't read though, like how easy they are to work with, how the customer service, etc. If we can find something cheaper but with good coverage, that would be awesome.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamaeagle216
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 9:21 AM
I would look for customer reviews online. Do a google search though. Don't depend on the company's website. Of course THEY would only put up the good reviews lol.
We have Medical mutual. It's through hubby's employer so it's very reasonably priced. I dunno about independent pricing though. But it's fabulous. So if they're affordable for you I would look into them too.
Good luck. Paper work and fine print are just another 'mommy' part of the job.

Quoting rebeccasmly:

My DH received quotes for a few plans. Now I have the joy of looking through each one and reading all the fine print. There are some things you can't read though, like how easy they are to work with, how the customer service, etc. If we can find something cheaper but with good coverage, that would be awesome.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 9:24 AM

We have United through my DH's employer. It hasn't been a 'pleasant' experience these past 2 years with them. I've never heard of united health one.

3sonsmommy
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 10:21 AM

If you never use it consider a high deductible with HSA. They always scared me but this year with our insurance premiums about to hit $1000/mo for the 5 of us we switched to one for less than $500/mo and put a couple hundred in the HSA every mo just incase. We are putting in enough so that at the end of the year we should have our annual family out of pocket in there and then be able to put in less or nothing next year. It is a little bit risky the first year bc we don't have so much in the savings account  but we will only be paying $6k for ins instead of 12k. And that money is lost forever.  What we put in the HSA even draws interest. (not alot lol but we already saved $6k right) and all of the well child visits and immunizations are free so I figure we might pay $200-$300 this year Out of pocket. for us it was a great decision.

mom27g
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 2:46 PM

I"ve never heard of it , sorry.

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Apr. 26, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Same here.

Quoting lovinmyboys...:

We have United Health , but havve never heard of UH One.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)