Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Placenta Previa

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:47 PM
  • 26 Replies

Anyone get diagnosed with this and did the placenta end up moving up far enough to have a vaginal birth? I'm only 19 weeks so I know there's time for it to move but I can't help but panic a little that I'll need a c-section. Right now the placenta is not fully covering the cervix so I know that's good.

by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
spotsmom
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:52 PM

I had it with both of my pregnancies. In both cases the plecenta moved away completely. 

craftymommylady
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:59 PM

I to had this and it did move but be as carefull as you can. My baby came 5weeks early because my placenta ruptured and they had to take her by c-section not sayin that will happen to you at all but just take it easy

devilMy give a damn is busted

bbmkfo03
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Quoting craftymommylady:

I to had this and it did move but be as carefull as you can. My baby came 5weeks early because my placenta ruptured and they had to take her by c-section not sayin that will happen to you at all but just take it easy

I have been restricted to light chores, no sex, no heavy lifting etc. What happend to you is what scares me the most about this.

JoRana83
by Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:07 AM
1 mom liked this
I've never had it, but I'm studying to be a doula. I can tell you that it's likely to move though, of course it isn't certain. Think of your uterus as a balloon and let's say you glued a Pom Pom ball to the outside of an uninflated balloon. Now, if you blow up the balloon the Pom Pom doesn't actually move on the balloon, it is glued down, but because the ballon is bigger it "moves" in relation to other spots on the balloon (ie. it is probably further from both the opening and the top of the balloon. So, while at 19 weeks the placenta seems to be covering your cervix there is still a lot of time for you uterus to grow. The placenta stays put inside your uterus but will change in relation to your cervix as your uterus grows. If it isn't completely covering now there is probably a good chance that by 40 weeks it will at least be covering it less. I know the docs will keep an eye on it for you. Just be encouraged that it will probably be fine and if it DOES still happen to be in the way come birth time, be glad that you live in a country with wonderful surgeons (called obstetricians) who can keep it from being a life threatening emergency! PM me if you'd like! I love sharing my knowledge and researching things I don't know!
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Never had it. Good luck though!

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

LindaClement
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:13 AM

It is typical for placentas to obstruct the cervix in the early part of every pregnancy, and to migrate up the back wall of the uterus as it expands.

kaygarcia97
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:20 AM
Had it with my last pregnancy. Discovered it at 23wks, mine didnt move and i had to have a csection.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bbmkfo03
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Quoting JoRana83:

I've never had it, but I'm studying to be a doula. I can tell you that it's likely to move though, of course it isn't certain. Think of your uterus as a balloon and let's say you glued a Pom Pom ball to the outside of an uninflated balloon. Now, if you blow up the balloon the Pom Pom doesn't actually move on the balloon, it is glued down, but because the ballon is bigger it "moves" in relation to other spots on the balloon (ie. it is probably further from both the opening and the top of the balloon. So, while at 19 weeks the placenta seems to be covering your cervix there is still a lot of time for you uterus to grow. The placenta stays put inside your uterus but will change in relation to your cervix as your uterus grows. If it isn't completely covering now there is probably a good chance that by 40 weeks it will at least be covering it less. I know the docs will keep an eye on it for you. Just be encouraged that it will probably be fine and if it DOES still happen to be in the way come birth time, be glad that you live in a country with wonderful surgeons (called obstetricians) who can keep it from being a life threatening emergency! PM me if you'd like! I love sharing my knowledge and researching things I don't know!

Thank you for this information! It was very helpful. I have hired a doula for this birth and she helped me find a group of midwives in my area but I haven't seen them yet. I'm hoping the midwives will still want to see me even with this and not send me back to my OB.

Totallysmitten
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 12:21 PM
I had this, and the placenta moved enough for me to have vaginal birth. I, also, was restricted to "light duty".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
abbysmom028
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 12:24 PM

No I have never had this but I have had 3 c-sections

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN