Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

HELP!! What causes a Bladder Infection in little kids?

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 1:11 PM
  • 18 Replies
I know very little on the subject. My DD is almost 5 and a year ago she had a bladder infection and was on antibiotics for a week. Now she is complaining again about it and I'm so frustrated! I am almost 25 and have never had one in my life but my poor baby has had almost 2 in her short little life. How does this happen so we don't have to go through this again?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 1:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
singletiredmom
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 1:12 PM
Could be not wiping properly. It's not uncommon for a child to get UTIs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Seans_mommy123
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 1:47 PM

This. Not wiping is the biggest cause of UTIs. Make sure she's wiping front to back so she's not introducing bacteria. 

Quoting singletiredmom:

Could be not wiping properly. It's not uncommon for a child to get UTIs.

BaileynMe
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 2:19 PM
She could also be holding it instead of going out of fear of the pain, which will bring it back in a heartbeat.

For the wiping, maybe get her some flushable wipes and make sure she's wiping in the right direction. Don't let her take bubble baths for a while, either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AllieReed
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Holding it or wiping from back to front usually.

RiNKeasMom
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Some people are just prone to them as well as causes other posters have mentioned. Sometimes just a lack of water intake can set it off. I get them ALL the time and it usually is when I have found myself to not have drunk enough water in the past week. Its been that way my whole life. My 4yo is the same way.

bellableu87
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 3:22 PM
She hasn't peed today either. I know she is afraid to and if I take her in tonight they won't be able to do anything untill she pees for them!

Quoting BaileynMe:

She could also be holding it instead of going out of fear of the pain, which will bring it back in a heartbeat.

For the wiping, maybe get her some flushable wipes and make sure she's wiping in the right direction. Don't let her take bubble baths for a while, either.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 4:33 PM

bubble baths too.

BaileynMe
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 4:38 PM
Give her lots to drink, and see of you can call and go get a kit from them. They can usually give you a toilet hat (funny name but that's what they call the urine catchers) and a sterile cup. If you can't get the sample back to them within half an hour, you need to make sure it's refridgerated. If not... Start pushing fluids and get ready to keep pushing till she can't hold it.

Quoting bellableu87:

She hasn't peed today either. I know she is afraid to and if I take her in tonight they won't be able to do anything untill she pees for them!

Quoting BaileynMe:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amandaxshawn08
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 4:42 PM
Cranberry juice.

Give it to her daily. At least 3 cups a day. Avoid tighter pants. Help her wipe. Front to back. Even use a warm wet cloth if you have to.

Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bmack2107
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 4:51 PM
2 moms liked this

A number of things really... If you give her soda... dark sodas/sodas with caffiene will definitely give her one... wiping back to front, holding it in a lot, her panties/clothes could be too tight, bubble baths, dirty bath water(i.e. playing in the water that she was bathed in) any kind of scented soaps... I have been battling bladder infections my whole life. It's not a comfortable feeling... and it does make you not want to pee... but you have to tell your daughter that if she wants to feel better, she will have to pee when she needs too like a big girl and not hold it in. She will have to drink lots of water! Good Luck mama!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)