Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Uterus too big for IUD??

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 1:33 PM
  • 6 Replies

Hi Everyone :) My name is Danielle. I'm 23 and I have two baby girls.  Emalee is 15 months and Kimee is 4 months. I gave birth to both via CSection in 2011 (they are 11 months apart, Emalee was in Jan, Kimee was in December). I didn't plan on having two babies so close in age but I have absoloutely no complaints.

Obviously I'm not wanting another baby anytime soon.. although I really do want to try again for a boy before I give up the baby making business for good lol.

Anywho.. at my 6 week pp checkup on January 31st, I got the depo shot and planned on having Mirena put in when my 3 months were up (my ob doesn't insert them). The shot ended up making me gain a ton of weight and has really given me some bad mood swings. I also found out that I have high blood pressure and am on medicine for it, so my Dr has urged me to try something without hormones or if I must, get Mirena. Long story short, I ended up not being able to get my IUD inserted by the Dr I wanted to (don't ask) and my clock start ticking too quick so I ended up at Planned Parenthood to get Paragard inserted. While I was there, they told me there was a 50% chance that they won't be able to insert it because I had only surgical births. I went in scared out of my mind and they wouldn't even let DH in :( I forced myself to relax though, and was relieved when the woman started "sounding" (measuring) my uterus and it was no more than a quick pinch and a little cramping. I was almost euphoric :) Then my world came crashing down. She pulled the sound out and told me that my uterus was measuring more then 9cm and that I could never have an IUD because my uterus is too big and it wouldn't be an effective form of birth control. I asked if it was possible that my uterus was still shrinking (I did just have two babies back to back less then 4 months ago) She said no, got up and left. I was near tears as I tried to find something to put on my underwear to hold the blood that the sounding had caused. They didn't even offer a pad (and I hadn't brought one in the room with me because I assumed that they would give me one). Finally, I met with one of the nurses that gave me a consultation when I was on my way out and asked her what my options were. I explained why I needed something non-hormonal and she told me that I should just get depo again, and that they could give me an injection before I leave. Then, to add insult to injury, they suddenly couldn't because my OB did not fax over the correct paperwork stating when my last depo shot was. The funny thing is that they held up on my insertion until my OB faxed it over and then they called me and told me they got it and set it up. I am so incredibly disapointed and really sad about this. I don't know what to do. I can't find any literature online at all. I spoke to a friend that has an IUD and she told me that she went to her regular OBGYN who does insert them and that she got measured at her consultation appointment and then came back for her IUD when it was ordered and came in. I thought IUD's were a "one size fits all" kind of thing. I'm thinking about getting depo one more time in two weeks (PP won't let me have it until then) and then going to a regular OBGYN to get a second oppinon although I'd really rather not have to go through another 3 months of hell again. 

Has anyone ever had anything like this happen to you or anyone you know? I need some advice :( Please be nice! I'm a nervous wreck.  

by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 1:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
itsblissmas
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 4:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I haven't but here's a bump for you. :o)

Tranla
by Elisabeth on Apr. 28, 2012 at 4:35 PM
Don't get the depo shot again when you've already had problems on it. I suggest switching to another OB/GYN that does insert IUDs. I would expect someone like that to be more knowledgeable about uterus size and IUD effectiveness.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AMR320
by Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 4:43 PM
I had Mirena and I don't think the doc measured my uterus. Maybe he did and just didn't say anything, IDK. I wouldn't do depo again. Can you go to another OB/GYN?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Livinwith3boys
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Have you thought about Implanon instead if you can't get an IUD? I can't get Mirena b/c of a tilted uterus, and that is the option my doc suggested

babie113
by Jenny on Apr. 28, 2012 at 4:49 PM
Can you use condoms till you get something more permanant also spermicide?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
egbkeb
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Thanks for replying :) Im definately going to go for a second oppinion. I would have thought PP would be more in the "know" about IUDs too considering they PUT THEM IN HUNDREDS OF TIMES EVERY DAY. lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)