Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Looking for childcare. What do I ask????

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:44 PM
  • 15 Replies

I'm looking for childcare for my 3 month old dd. I'm pretty sure I want a small family setting like an in-home daycare but I have no idea what to ask the provider. I need some ideas for interview questions. Help?

by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
swmmra
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 12:00 AM
2 moms liked this

Do they bottle prop

how do they seperate younger and older? Do they seperate younger and older. 

how do they handle allergies

times that they are open

discipline in the daycare

how many kids will the provider take on at a time

wwhat the daily schedule is like

will they allow or encourage you to call or drop by

what is their policy on non-custodial picking up children

how/what do they use to clean spaces and toys

how much notice can you expect if the facilty is going to be closed

are they open for holidays, if no which ones are they closed for

Hopefully these are a few questions that help get you going

marscella
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 7:55 AM
1 mom liked this
I babysit from my home ;) but before I started babysitting, my ds went to an on home daycare.

I did call some big daycare facilities but just personally didn't feel comfortable with them or like them. My biggest turn off was when I asked " can I drop by announced? Like if I'm out working on the road and I'm close, can I pop in to say hi thru out the day?" they told me NO !! They need no less than 20 minute notice i was coming by.!!! I hung up with them. Listen, being a day care provider myself now I know what happened when a parent " drops by" only to quickly leave again. It's sometimes confusing and chaos for the child and only makes mom or dad feel bad all over again for leaving a second time that day. I get that BUT when being interviewed by parents, I told them first and foremost I had an open door policy. I don't expect notice of u coming by. U don't have to call me, or whatever. U want to pop in u r more than welcome. And a couple parents did especially in the beginning to check things out~ I don't blame them a bit. I didnt have anything to hide and yes sometimes the kids cried again when they left and sometimes the kids cried bcuz they didn't want to leave lol.

I also asked the parents for their cell phone numbers obviously for an emergency but so I could text them pictures thru out the day of their child. It especially came in handy of they fell and got hurt or something I'd quickly take a pic and send it to them. Luckily I've never had a horrible accident like a horrible busted open wound nothing more than a scratch.

For me, I had the parents sign a consent form ~ I asked what some of the child's fav foods are, their dislikes, depending on age of they r potty trained, Id they wanted me to medicate, I had them check yes and sign and initial and wrote correct dosage on that paper. My standard request is benedryl. With so many life threatening allergies, I request if they r allergic to a bee or say they have an allergic reaction to something they eat am I permitted to give a dose of benedryl to slow reaction time and call esquad of necessary or if not I give then benedryl and call the mom to let her know alon with a picture of said child.

Since ur baby is so young, all u would have to bring is bottles, diapers and wipes and a few changes of clothes for now. But for the older ones, I actually has to ask that parents not bring food for their child of there wasn't enough for all the kids. Believe it or not I've had one parent show up a few times with a happy meal or Ice cream from the dairy queen and eat it in front of all the kids ;(

Ask u provider what the daily schedule is like, I'd she ll work around what nap times or schedules u have now if any vein the baby's so little.

A great question to ask Is what is her sickness policy? Some day slcares won't take sick children with fevers, coughs, etc. how long until ur child can come back if ur child is Ill. My kids were always showing up here sick which in turn I had to call the parents and let them know I have a sick child so FYI for their kids.

Will she help potty train? What's the normal daily schedule? Is there any outside time? And since it's almost summer don't forget to add sunscreen in baby's bag in case they do get to go outside! I go thru TONS of sun screen everyday but I only use whatever mom brings for baby or I keep aveeno sun screen on hand in case they forget ;)

Oh and If a parent calls my house I may not hear my phone~ even tho I have cordless phones, sometimes we r on a walk around the neighborhood~ they call or text my cell. Don't panic right off the bat if they don't answer the house phone. Just make sure to get their cell number.

Good luck!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CLEKate
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:16 AM

First and foremost: Are they licesned by the state?

Second: Are the following the state/county rules regarding ratios? (number of kids per adult.  this varies based on the age group and state.)  You might want to do the research yourself on your state, then simply ask how many kids they deal with at a time. 

VisionSeeker
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Quoting CLEKate:

First and foremost: Are they licesned by the state?

Second: Are the following the state/county rules regarding ratios? (number of kids per adult.  this varies based on the age group and state.)  You might want to do the research yourself on your state, then simply ask how many kids they deal with at a time. 

this for sure

two_princesses
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:32 AM
If your going with a home daycare ask who, other then the provider will be in the house during daycare hours. I interviewed a home daycare that had 4 friends of the provider and providers husband stop by while I was there. She said friends stopped by all the time to visit the kids. I was not comfortable with that.
stepdiva
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:38 PM
Do a thorough background check.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stepdiva
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:47 PM
Yours sounds like a great day care. Yay!

Quoting marscella:

I babysit from my home ;) but before I started babysitting, my ds went to an on home daycare.

I did call some big daycare facilities but just personally didn't feel comfortable with them or like them. My biggest turn off was when I asked " can I drop by announced? Like if I'm out working on the road and I'm close, can I pop in to say hi thru out the day?" they told me NO !! They need no less than 20 minute notice i was coming by.!!! I hung up with them. Listen, being a day care provider myself now I know what happened when a parent " drops by" only to quickly leave again. It's sometimes confusing and chaos for the child and only makes mom or dad feel bad all over again for leaving a second time that day. I get that BUT when being interviewed by parents, I told them first and foremost I had an open door policy. I don't expect notice of u coming by. U don't have to call me, or whatever. U want to pop in u r more than welcome. And a couple parents did especially in the beginning to check things out~ I don't blame them a bit. I didnt have anything to hide and yes sometimes the kids cried again when they left and sometimes the kids cried bcuz they didn't want to leave lol.

I also asked the parents for their cell phone numbers obviously for an emergency but so I could text them pictures thru out the day of their child. It especially came in handy of they fell and got hurt or something I'd quickly take a pic and send it to them. Luckily I've never had a horrible accident like a horrible busted open wound nothing more than a scratch.

For me, I had the parents sign a consent form ~ I asked what some of the child's fav foods are, their dislikes, depending on age of they r potty trained, Id they wanted me to medicate, I had them check yes and sign and initial and wrote correct dosage on that paper. My standard request is benedryl. With so many life threatening allergies, I request if they r allergic to a bee or say they have an allergic reaction to something they eat am I permitted to give a dose of benedryl to slow reaction time and call esquad of necessary or if not I give then benedryl and call the mom to let her know alon with a picture of said child.

Since ur baby is so young, all u would have to bring is bottles, diapers and wipes and a few changes of clothes for now. But for the older ones, I actually has to ask that parents not bring food for their child of there wasn't enough for all the kids. Believe it or not I've had one parent show up a few times with a happy meal or Ice cream from the dairy queen and eat it in front of all the kids ;(

Ask u provider what the daily schedule is like, I'd she ll work around what nap times or schedules u have now if any vein the baby's so little.

A great question to ask Is what is her sickness policy? Some day slcares won't take sick children with fevers, coughs, etc. how long until ur child can come back if ur child is Ill. My kids were always showing up here sick which in turn I had to call the parents and let them know I have a sick child so FYI for their kids.

Will she help potty train? What's the normal daily schedule? Is there any outside time? And since it's almost summer don't forget to add sunscreen in baby's bag in case they do get to go outside! I go thru TONS of sun screen everyday but I only use whatever mom brings for baby or I keep aveeno sun screen on hand in case they forget ;)

Oh and If a parent calls my house I may not hear my phone~ even tho I have cordless phones, sometimes we r on a walk around the neighborhood~ they call or text my cell. Don't panic right off the bat if they don't answer the house phone. Just make sure to get their cell number.

Good luck!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GentleGoddess
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:51 PM
Follow your mothers intuition. It is never wrong.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:53 AM

What will you tell a child when he asks about sex, death, religion, or hitting other people?

Their philosophy will drive their practice... not the other way 'round. If you hate their philosophy, they'll make you crazy.

3monkeys2love
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Lots of good ideas already, here are some I would also ask.

Will they be going anywhere during the day, I don't let my kids ride with anyone in the car except for people we are close to.

Do they have pets

Do they have all the proper equipment for your child's age

Do they keep older kids separated from babies, if not I'd make sure your child isn't in the playpen all day because the older ones are roaming around.

Do they smoke

If your child is sick will they allow you to still drop them off as long as it isn't something major

If you are running late will they charge you an extra fee

Who else will be in the house while your child is there

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)