Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Question for those who have had a Caesarean section?

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:26 AM
  • 33 Replies

I hope you don't mind me posting this here and I know the question is a bit strange coming from someone with 3 vaginal births, but I was curious:

Do moms who have given birth through C-section have to abstain from sex after birth? If so, do they have to abstain as long as is recommended for those who had a vaginal birth or less?

I figured that, since you are recovering from surgery, you'll still want to abstain to keep pressure off of the area. Plus it also makes sense that certain positions would be terribly uncomfortable and you might have to worry about strainn caused by lifting and what-not. .... 

I'm just not sure. 

Thanks in advance for appeasing my curiousity. ^.^'

pregnancy due date

by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bookoholic
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:31 AM
I think I had to wait 3 or 6 weeks. It was 3 yrs ago or close to I also had other issues.at the time. I dont remember.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissTacoBell
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:32 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes you have to abstain from sex since your uterus and vagina are still working back to their natural state...and only a crazy person would want sex after a csection...TRUST me. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ScrChk23
by Amanda on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:34 AM

You do need to abstain for several weeks.  that way you don't open up your incision ither internally or externally.  You will be able to tell when your abdomin is ready for sexual activity again.  I have had two c sections. 

yourpassion
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:41 AM
My dr told me 6 weeks like my vaginal birth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EmmaKatesMom902
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:44 AM
We waited the whole 6 weeks the first time. With my second one we waited about 3 weeks. Its just when you feel like your body has healed enough.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aqua_Jen
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:48 AM
Your dr will tell you to wait 6-8 weeks. Your body has gone through a lot and you basically have a large open wound inside so there is a risk of infection not to mention tearing stitches and overall pain. I know many women who did not wait that long. Some had sex a week later. It's your call but your dr will tell you to wait.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vwd_johnson
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:54 AM
I was told six weeks same as vaginal
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
The_Doodle
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:56 AM

I was told to wait 6 to 8 weeks.

hollydaze1974
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 7:03 AM
yes, six weeks of no sex and lifting nothing heavier than the carrier (which was laughable the first two weeks) It hurt too much, so I never took him anywhere without help. There is so much healing that has to happen inside and out. The worse for me was the "stinging" from my nerves knitting back together.
LovelyLauren55
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 7:06 AM
I was told to wait 6 weeks, damn so could never wait
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)