Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Which IUD? Unsure.

Posted by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:43 AM
  • 12 Replies

Hey ladies... I just want reviews of the IUDs. Both Paraguard and Mirena. I was thinking about the one of 5 yrs, but I'm not so sure.  In a few months I'm going to get my new insuarance (my current hospital won't do the IUDs because they're catholic so I have to change ins. because the other hospital don't accept my current ins.) so meanwhile, next month, I'll start on Nuvaring (which I have no clue on how to insert...yet). I want to learn a lil better on Mirena but I also could go for another extra 5 yrs unless I re-insert Mirena again for another 5. What I worry about is the "feeling of the string" and it seems that Paraguard has a longer string. But I also don't do well with hormones, since I'm a very hormonal female, so Mirena won't do well here. Anyway, I already have 3 kids; 6yr old girl , 3yr old gilr, and 8mo. old boy. And I'm done having kids for now... childbirth to me is a vigina destroyer and though their dad has no copmplain with my drastic change down there, it is affecting me, us, sexually. I don't feel comfortable with it after my son. I am 50/50 on weather I should have another baby in 10 or 8 yrs or just be done and get that operation where they do it through the belly button (I don't know what its called but my mom got it done).

Thank you ladies, any insight of the IUDs and the surgery's name will be appreciated.

by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NikkiDoll
by Nikki on May. 1, 2012 at 11:45 AM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilmamiz07
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:07 PM

BUMP!

geekmommy84
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this

i have ParaGard in, i was told that with the progestrone (which is the hormone in Mirena) can ampliphy mood swings even worse if you have a chemical imbalance. Also could cause acene. So the Dr. really emphisized on the ParaGard because it has no hormones in it. so far so good:D

Repeat after me: "I Can Do This"

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on May. 1, 2012 at 12:22 PM
Have you thought about NFP?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rHOPEb
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2012 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I had the Paraguard and LOVED it!  It has NO hormones.  In my own opinion..........God made women's bodies to have a menstral cycle and we really shouldn't try to stop that from happening.  I had NO issues.  There were no hormones to get out of my system when we were TTC (I actually got preggo the day I got it removed).  It will last 10yr.  If your partner can feel the strings then you go back to your OB and have them trimmed (no biggie).  Its was wonderful for us!  And if you have issues with hormonal BC anyway you may want to stay away from ones that have it.  Good luck and God bless...............

lilmamiz07
by on May. 6, 2012 at 3:01 PM

The only way we haven't got pregnant is becauseof the "pull out"... but we all know things happen, and I don't want to have an oopsie moment. And we also try condoms when I'm ovulating, but my sex drive at that point isn't high, so we don't do it, but if it happens we use condoms.

Quoting Mommy2justone:Have you thought about NFP? 
lilmamiz07
by on May. 6, 2012 at 3:09 PM

I was thinking of getting Paraguard cause of the no hormone. Tho I'm still unsure of either having another one later on or just be done, I think that if i do keep it in for 10yrs...10yrs is a long time to start all over again. My goal is 8-10yrs depending on how we're doing and by that time I wouldn't even care about the baby's sex (cause I wanted a boy, but now he's here).  I just changed insurance and is affective on June 1st. So we'll see what can be done. somehow I'm exited cause is like a worry free BC.

Quoting rHOPEb:

I had the Paraguard and LOVED it!  It has NO hormones.  In my own opinion..........God made women's bodies to have a menstral cycle and we really shouldn't try to stop that from happening.  I had NO issues.  There were no hormones to get out of my system when we were TTC (I actually got preggo the day I got it removed).  It will last 10yr.  If your partner can feel the strings then you go back to your OB and have them trimmed (no biggie).  Its was wonderful for us!  And if you have issues with hormonal BC anyway you may want to stay away from ones that have it.  Good luck and God bless...............

lilmamiz07
by on May. 6, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Defenetly not Mirana. I have depression and am a moody person... kinda bi-polar. I can't wait to get it.

Quoting geekmommy84:

i have ParaGard in, i was told that with the progestrone (which is the hormone in Mirena) can ampliphy mood swings even worse if you have a chemical imbalance. Also could cause acene. So the Dr. really emphisized on the ParaGard because it has no hormones in it. so far so good:D

WesternNYmom
by on May. 6, 2012 at 5:35 PM

I have been using Mirena for the past 4 years and haven't had any issues or side effects with it. No abnormal mood swings, no acne, and it has really helped my with cramping and heavy bleeding during my monthley cycles.  I was diagnosed with a hormone imbalance that causes my body to not produce enough estrogen.  The results are severe mood swings, bloating, weight gain, acne and excess facial hair growth.  The so called "evil" hormones in Mirena have helped me. I will continue to use it.

karischub
by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:20 PM

I've had Mirena for two months now. There have been no side effects after the initial cramping... I've also not had a cycle other than a little spotting. Very happy with my experience!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)