Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

What's a good method to keeping your 3 yr old in line at a store?

Posted by   + Show Post
She's almost 4 actually. But if she's not in a cart she will run away or just run in general. It drives me crazy! Its exhausting having to constantly tell her to stop and to come stand next me and to quit running or we will leave. I mean I gotta get stuff done ha. I avoid taking her shopping with me esp to old navy Bc she doesn't stay in those carts. Or they don't have one.

I can't bribe her Bc she thinks she gets whatever she wants now if she is "nice" or "good" and that's another tantrum in itself.

Are there any nifty methods I could use to end these battles?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 1, 2012 at 2:15 PM
Replies (21-30):
katzmeow726
by on May. 1, 2012 at 8:58 PM

I carry a little foldable pad in my purse.  

If they stop listening to me, I pick a slightly out of the way area (where we won't be in the way) and they do a time out in the middle of the store.  

If they get embarassed, then that is their fault.  Although I only had to use it once, and that was amost 5 months after I purchased it.  For the most part I really don't have an issue. 

JZB
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2012 at 8:59 PM

the fear of death

EmilyMarshall
by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:01 PM
Give her a job.

momamanda
by Member on May. 1, 2012 at 9:06 PM

This is a tough one! It is not an easy thing when they are running around and are not listening. When my youngest went through this she was 3. If she didn't listen I would put her in the cart and buckle her in tight so she couldn't get out and sometimes hold her down while I shopped. Even if she screamed. It only took maybe a month before she knew if she didn't stay with me she would have to sit. Also if it is a grocery store get her invovled. even though she can't read give her a list of small things she can be in charge of getting and putting in the cart. Cereal, cans, etc....

As for stores without carts. You can always try making a ribbon ring. a long ribbon with 2 big rings. one that you hold on to and one she can hold on to.  Then she can roam within limits. Let her know what you expect. I also have told my children they could get lost or  that strangers will get them and take them away.   just be patient and try not to worry about what others around you are thinking because chances are they've been in your shoes before or one day they will be.  hope this hleps!

PinkParadox
by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:06 PM
This. Plus, next time she runs off hide where u can see her but she can't see you. One time of thinking she's lost...she probably won't do it again.

Quoting SouthTxPrincess:

What discipline do you use at home when she doesn't listen? My dd either gets a time out or a spanking. I enforce those rules even in public.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JenMarie87
by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:11 PM

My 2 oldest kids (4 and 6) do the same damn thing. They will even lay down on the floor in the middle of the freakin' store. Ahh... drvies me nuts. I don't know what to tell you 'cause I haven't even figured it out myself. lol

PinkParadox
by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:18 PM
I don't mean to bash anyone...but I just don't understand why it seems like there are so many kids running the show? My kids were taught at a young age that it is dangerous. When we are out, they stay with mommy...period. They don't have other options. That doesn't mean they never whine and ask for things. But they do not run off or anything like. Kids do what you teach them is acceptable. If it's not acceptable, and dangerous, you let them know...in no uncertain terms.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SexyTeacher
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2012 at 9:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't take her!! Leave her at home!!

That used to annoy me greatly. In college I worked in a grocery store and people would walk in with 3-4 kids in tow. Halfway through all the kids would be screaming. Imagine a store full of screaming kids!!! NEWS FLASH>>>>>>>LEAVE THEM AT HOME!!!

by Beckie on May. 2, 2012 at 1:51 PM

I think it really depends on the parent and child.  For us, my DD would misbehave, but would shape up when need be.  We had rules and consequences and such, and in the end, she learned to behave and listen.  DS is a totally different story.  He WONT answer or even acknowledge someone calling his name.  He rarely listens and obeys.  He's very, very stubborn.  We DO have rules and consequences, but have yet to find what really works for him since he is only 3.  He most definitely does NOT run the show, but we've quickly learned what we can do and not to with him at this point.  It's a battle of the wills, we're winning, but we have to pick our battles, too.  

Quoting PinkParadox:

I don't mean to bash anyone...but I just don't understand why it seems like there are so many kids running the show? My kids were taught at a young age that it is dangerous. When we are out, they stay with mommy...period. They don't have other options. That doesn't mean they never whine and ask for things. But they do not run off or anything like. Kids do what you teach them is acceptable. If it's not acceptable, and dangerous, you let them know...in no uncertain terms.

WesternNYmom
by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:06 PM

I agree with this. When kids were little, I use to keep small toys, not pads and pencils,  and healthy, non perishable snacks, and small bottles of water in my purse (I still do just in case).  When one of the kids started getting restless during a trip to the store, I would pull the items out and let them choose an item from my "Emergency boredom kit"  It worked like a charm the kids were happy and occupied in the cart, and I was free to concentrate on shopping.  Another stratigy is to plan your shopping trip ahead of time. Make a list, of what you need, gather the coupons you plan to use etc. before you go.  I also suggest that you list the items on your shopping list by section or department  (ie: friuts and veggies under prdduce or  milk and eggs under dairy etc) this will help you find items in the store faster, and minimize the time you spend in the store. Toddlers get really bored on lengthy shopping trips, and this can sometimes lead to behavior meltdowns.

Quoting FlyingMommy747:

Keep her occupied.  We are in the same boat here also, with my almost 3 1/2 year old.  But if she has something with her to keep her occupied, it helps.  She loves to bring her Dolly or a My Pretty Pony.

Our supermarket also has the little carts for kids to push.  Our DD loves to do that and be a big helper.  Then she insist in putting everything in her little cart on the conveyer belt.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)