Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Help!!

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:41 PM
  • 16 Replies
1 mom liked this
My DD has not been eating much of ANYTHING for the past few days! I get as much as I can (or that she will allow) into her belly but it's only been maybe 5 bites at breakfast, NOTHING at lunch, & here it is supper time AGAIN & she REFUSES to eat anything. It goes straight to the floor. I am eat up with worrying & stressing, i was going to call her Pedi today but figured maybe I'd give her one more day in case it was "a phase".. My DH tells me I'm overly protective & that it's pointless to rush to the dr with every little change she goes through. Being a first time mom, I'm getting scared. She's 13 months old on the 10th & has never had this problem. However, if we put a cookie or something of the sort in front of her she gladly eats it!! What do I do? Should I call her doctor in the morning ? Do you think it could be serious? Any little bit of advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmat
by Barb on May. 2, 2012 at 9:08 PM
2 moms liked this

Don't let her sense that you are worried. Keep meals very relaxed.  Controlling what she eats is one of the few ways she can control what goes on in her life.  What we ended up doing was putting a basket of rolls on the table (my son liked bread) and saying the rolls were for after something was eaten from his plate. And I put tiny bites on his plate. So he ended up with some balance in his diet.  If it is any help, my nephew ate chips and bread when he was young,  it didn't seem like much else, and now he is 6 ft 6. LOL!

marscella
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:42 PM
2 moms liked this
If she's eating junk food and sweets, it's probably safe to say there's nothing majorly wrong that would warrant a dr visit. Now if she weren't eating sweets ANYTHING at all, the. I myself would b more worries something was seriously wrong.

Push fluids not alot of juice or sweet drinks~ try fruit 2 0 water it's a lil naturally sweet and it's healthy. Kids won't starve themselves. They will eat eventually. I'd cut out the sweets tho and offer meals to her whe not making a big deal out of her eating ~

If u r truly really worried then by all means call her pedi.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamakenzi
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Quoting marscella:

If she's eating junk food and sweets, it's probably safe to say there's nothing majorly wrong that would warrant a dr visit. Now if she weren't eating sweets ANYTHING at all, the. I myself would b more worries something was seriously wrong.

Push fluids not alot of juice or sweet drinks~ try fruit 2 0 water it's a lil naturally sweet and it's healthy. Kids won't starve themselves. They will eat eventually. I'd cut out the sweets tho and offer meals to her whe not making a big deal out of her eating ~

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bbmkfo03
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting marscella:

I agree with this. If she were refusing the sweets then there might be a problem but she's realizing what tastes good and only wants that, which is normal. Cut out the sweets & offer a variety of fruits & veggies. I give my DD diluted V8 fusion (the light version w/less sugar), it has fruits & veggies in it.

EDDES
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Healthy snacks are important too.

Children under the age of five do not usually eat 3 square meals but if you do the snacks like raisins, peanutbutter and jelly, fresh piece of fruit with crackers and cheese and a cookie or two with milk, pureed veggies like sweet potato, carrots and little pieces of chicken or Apple juice with plantain chips; the tummy is full and the nutrients are in her system and also make sure she gets alot of fresh water with her meals.

But, they are going to be small and tiny meals because she is at the very early stages of her toddler years & little by little the appetite starts getting more and more advanced but gradually of course........she has a tiny stomach.

The capacity is small so it can only receive small intervals of food in tiny increments. Everything takes time. Try different food items for snacks.

Keep it small and keep the food flowing in different hours of the day. When she is hungry she will eat eventually more and more as time goes by, you will see it is a growing process and maturing process. Just work with her....you will see, she will get there and gain some weight as time goes by and she eats more later on.toddler girl

maryjxo1988
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:55 PM
Thanks so much everyone! I kind of feel like DH & I are to blame for the snack food crisis. Him more than me, but both of us none-the-less. She has gotten the Gerber Graduate snacks for as long as she has been able to have them, she loves fresh fruit & even loved veggies. But like tonight, after I posted, she ate the mess out of some Great Northern Beans & didn't touch her carrots. I can't really give her an ultimatum at her age because she barely listens when I tell her "No" but she is a very busy & active little girl so I assumed maybe that since she has started walking not too long ago she would be full of energy & be hungry more often. She use to eat like 3-4 jars of baby food at one sitting so this no appetite thing is really frustrating to me. I am just fearful of her not getting the necessary vitamins & nutrients that she needs. I am constantly on this site & that site & googling everything I can possibly think to google but none ever really pertain to my specific situation. She recently got taken off of formula & I also have weened her off of her bottle, I am beginning to think she misses it but I'm proud to say she is off of it (= I give her milk in her sippy cup & she tastes it, throws it down, & won't touch it. That is when ai started giving her Ovaltine....could that be why she isn't eating as much? I only give her a couple of cups a day because I know you're not suppose to give a baby her age too much milk but she gets apple juice, a LITTLE bit of diluted tea, orange juice. I'm wondering if maybe she gets too much sugar & is starting to want sweet foods more? It's a habit I need to break soon if so! I like for her to eat & drink healthy, her dad seems to think giving her suckers & chocolate are okay! Ugh!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bbmkfo03
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Quoting maryjxo1988:

Thanks so much everyone! I kind of feel like DH & I are to blame for the snack food crisis. Him more than me, but both of us none-the-less. She has gotten the Gerber Graduate snacks for as long as she has been able to have them, she loves fresh fruit & even loved veggies. But like tonight, after I posted, she ate the mess out of some Great Northern Beans & didn't touch her carrots. I can't really give her an ultimatum at her age because she barely listens when I tell her "No" but she is a very busy & active little girl so I assumed maybe that since she has started walking not too long ago she would be full of energy & be hungry more often. She use to eat like 3-4 jars of baby food at one sitting so this no appetite thing is really frustrating to me. I am just fearful of her not getting the necessary vitamins & nutrients that she needs. I am constantly on this site & that site & googling everything I can possibly think to google but none ever really pertain to my specific situation. She recently got taken off of formula & I also have weened her off of her bottle, I am beginning to think she misses it but I'm proud to say she is off of it (= I give her milk in her sippy cup & she tastes it, throws it down, & won't touch it. That is when ai started giving her Ovaltine....could that be why she isn't eating as much? I only give her a couple of cups a day because I know you're not suppose to give a baby her age too much milk but she gets apple juice, a LITTLE bit of diluted tea, orange juice. I'm wondering if maybe she gets too much sugar & is starting to want sweet foods more? It's a habit I need to break soon if so! I like for her to eat & drink healthy, her dad seems to think giving her suckers & chocolate are okay! Ugh!

Defintely look at the labels of everything you buy, look at the sugar content. You'll be surprised at how much sugar is in food and drinks geared toward kids. My DD is 3 and I still dilute her juice and she only has one cup of milk with dinner, the rest is water. Try pureeing veggies with other stuff, I puree spinach and add it to spaghetti sauce all the time b/c DD won't eat it alone.

maryjxo1988
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks! I will have to keep that in mind when buying her snacks & juices. I'm so blessed with having such a beautiful gift from God! I just worry.

Quoting bbmkfo03:

Quoting maryjxo1988:

Defintely look at the labels of everything you buy, look at the sugar content. You'll be surprised at how much sugar is in food and drinks geared toward kids. My DD is 3 and I still dilute her juice and she only has one cup of milk with dinner, the rest is water. Try pureeing veggies with other stuff, I puree spinach and add it to spaghetti sauce all the time b/c DD won't eat it alone.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stepdiva
by on May. 3, 2012 at 1:55 PM
How much junk is she eating before meals? You can control that by not giving it to her or not having it in the house. She won't starve herself.
That is one big reason it is not recommended to give them a lot of sugar. I love sugar but it is very bad for everybody.
Did you happen to see 60 minutes last Sunday? There was a segment about addiction and sugar was named. Consider what it does to a baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shaei
by Member on May. 3, 2012 at 3:37 PM

As usual the ladies here have great advice.  Several times I get worried when my daughter isn't eating (she's now 2) but her pediatrician told us that at her age she's just more interested in playing and not eating.  I was told to offer her the food and to make sure that snacks were healthy (not cookies/junk food) and that she would be fine.  He also told me that if she drank at least 3 cups of milk a day that she was getting all that she needed in terms of calories.  Once he told me that I stressed less.  I also bought her a liquid vitamin so if she has too many days where she won't eat the good stuff (read healthy here) then give her a dose of the liquid vitamin.  The plus of them is that they usually stimulate appetite.

My mother said that the pediatriicain she used when I was younger always told her that kids won't starve themselves and that parents worry too much.  Perhaps there's some truth in that old adage.  But please know that you're not alone. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN