Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

How much to tip a worker

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:01 PM
  • 17 Replies

A worker has been here for several weeks doing repairs and redoing the basement room for my husband's study. The job expanded more than we realized because there was extensive termite damage, so paneling had to be removed, new studs put up, new paneling, the ceiling replaced, the indoor outdoor carpeting scraped up, painting, new windows put in, and he also picked up and brought over all supplies and materials. So I know the bill is going to be major.  I offered to pay him in partial payments, because I didn't like that he had to cover the cost of materials, but he wanted to wait until the job was done and then get the whole amount.  I feel I should give him more than he asks for, right?  Can you give me an idea about how much?

by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2012 at 9:04 PM
1 mom liked this

If you are happy with his work give him a couple hundred more  IF you can afford to. Also ask for his business cards and tell him you will recommend him.  That will mean more than the money. Also you could pay the $10 to join Angies list and add him as a posivite guy to hire.

Firewoman33
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2012 at 9:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Actually, no. You do not need to tip him. My DH is a contractor and we've hired people to do jobs. It almost always ends up being more then expected. If he does anything close to standard job costs he will have built all his time, supplies, fuel costs etc into the billing. 

I would say if you offer him baked goods, coffee, pop and water everyday that will make up for any "inconvenience" . In this economy I'm sure it's not an inconvenience, though. 

ETA: I agree with a pp about posting reviews and asking for a business card. That is something small business men especially appreciate. 

Bmat
by Barb on May. 2, 2012 at 9:09 PM

I have been giving him lunch every day.  Good points about Angie's list and reviews.

lioness3e
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:38 PM
1 mom liked this

As a small business owner myself. I prefer referrals and good reviews over a tip. Good reviews and referrals are the best compliment you can give someone in small business. Ask him where you can leave a review. Is he on Angie's List or Yelp.com.

I'm on yelp and servicemagic. My clients can go to either and leave reviews. Even better is when I get a call that someone referred me. It actually makes me feel uncomfortable when someone tries to tip me. 

Bmat
by Barb on May. 2, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Thank you for the comments.  I just discussed this with my husband, and we came to the conclusion that since the worker still has other jobs contracted for with us (outside work) that we would not tip, at least not at this time. Also influencing the decision is that he is self-employed and not the employee of a company that would get a cut of whatever we pay.

We had to call in termite exterminators, and plumbers as an unexpected aspect of the job, and both of them asked for his card, and I gave my verbal recommendation at the time also.  I'll give good reviews for sure.  He does good work. My grandfather was a carpenter and contractor and took pride in what he did, and I see a similar attitude with this worker.

Quoting lioness3e:

As a small business owner myself. I prefer referrals and good reviews over a tip. Good reviews and referrals are the best compliment you can give someone in small business. Ask him where you can leave a review. Is he on Angie's List or Yelp.com.

I'm on yelp and servicemagic. My clients can go to either and leave reviews. Even better is when I get a call that someone referred me. It actually makes me feel uncomfortable when someone tries to tip me. 

lioness3e
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:53 PM

I grew up in small business. My Dad had his own construction company.He worked hard and had a strong following. He always refused tips. As the owner we should not be taking tips. We're already being paid for our services.

Tipping our employees is another thing. I don't have a problem if a client wants to tip my assistant. 

Quoting Bmat:

Thank you for the comments.  I just discussed this with my husband, and we came to the conclusion that since the worker still has other jobs contracted for with us (outside work) that we would not tip, at least not at this time. Also influencing the decision is that he is self-employed and not the employee of a company that would get a cut of whatever we pay.

We had to call in termite exterminators, and plumbers as an unexpected aspect of the job, and both of them asked for his card, and I gave my verbal recommendation at the time also.  I'll give good reviews for sure.  He does good work. My grandfather was a carpenter and contractor and took pride in what he did, and I see a similar attitude with this worker.

Quoting lioness3e:

Bmat
by Barb on May. 2, 2012 at 9:54 PM

I'm glad I asked, you have helped me with guidelines about tipping or not.

marisab
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:40 AM

i have no clue but was wonddering that cause well have a guy here next week doing the yard

Bmat
by Barb on May. 3, 2012 at 10:43 AM

I am leaning toward tipping if the person is an employee but not if it is his own business.

Quoting marisab:

i have no clue but was wonddering that cause well have a guy here next week doing the yard

stepdiva
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:18 AM
My DH was also a contractor and I don't think you need to tip the handyman. He's being paid based on the previously agreed upon amount and then the change order. No tip should be required. Give him lunch, something to drink etc. That's what I've done. I had flooring put in and I went to Costco, got something that took very little prep other than reheating and fed the man lunch. He really appreciated it and did a terrific job. I did it all the days he was there. I always offer coffee, and water. Little things mean a lot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN