Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

please help us,will my baby loose his finger?

Posted by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:57 AM
  • 11 Replies
A few days ago my son had told me that uncle put medicine on his ouchie-I assumed antiseptic ointment. I asked him if he was ok and he said 'ya, he fell but its ok now'. He's a total boy and is constantly getting bumps or scrapes by running or climbing trees so I thought nothing of it.

Because he's always climbing around or digging up dirt I am always cleaning under his nails, its a huge pet peeve to see dirt under his fingernails. He hates this, so I usually clean/cut them every few nights after he's fallen asleep. I go to check his nails and I see his thumb is swollen, red and has a white bubble above his knuckle. Above that, his skin is almost coming/cracking off and is a greenish yellow color. Around the base of his nail is also green. I'll post a pic under this in the comments because I am new to this site and haven't figured everything out yet.

I called my brother in law and asked where he put medicine on my son and he said it was just a small cut on his finger, that he never told me because he thought I knew. I woke my son up and asked him but he doesn't remember anything other than falling down. I will make him an emergency after hours appointment first thing tomorrow (Saturday) but I don't know what to tell the doctor in regards to how this happened. Obviously I'm going to tell the truth, even if I can't figure out what happened.

I'm thinking he either got a small cut infected or he fell on his nail, jamming it back. My husband thinks he may have slammed it in a cabinet or door. I am freaking out because I don't want him to loose his fingernail. It looks painful but he hasn't said one word about it, even washing his hands, he hasn't said it was stinging. I always thought the kid had a high pain tolerance because he barely flinched during shots, or when I peroxide his cuts/scrapes.

I guess I'm just wondering if any of you ladies have seen anything like this. I am already set on taking him to the doc but if someone can convince me its not super serious than ill wait until Monday. That's not likely that ill wait but I just want some other perspectives because I am freaking out!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AM-BRAT
by Amber on May. 5, 2012 at 1:05 AM
Do you have pix?

Does your ped office have a call center for a doc to call you back?

I'm not getting a good visual of it cause you keep talking around it.

If it's red, hot, painful and pussing- try urgent care.

Do I think he'll lose his finger? No.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shannonmegan24
by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:08 AM

If you're able to zoom in it looks really bad
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shannonmegan24
by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:09 AM
I'll try to get another pic closer up to get a better idea of whats going on...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2012 at 1:10 AM
Looks infected. I would take him in tomorrow. His finger should be fine with treatment.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AM-BRAT
by Amber on May. 5, 2012 at 1:12 AM
If you can't get anywhere right away try some saline to clean it- GOOD- put bacitracin on it, and cover it. Gl.

Quoting shannonmegan24:

If you're able to zoom in it looks really bad

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommySwiggles
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2012 at 1:12 AM
My 3 yo pinched his thumb in a door a little while back. He lost the fingernail but it grew back. You can't tell anything ever happened. So even if he does lose the nail, don't freak out over it. Just make sure it's not an infection. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shannonmegan24
by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shannonmegan24
by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Maybe a spider bite??? Ugh I have no clue what happened to my baby.(4yo)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shannonmegan24
by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:37 AM
My hubby thinks that's what happened, that he smashed it in a door/drawer/cabinet. But I'm leaning towards a spider bite, infected cut or he fell in it and slammed the nail back into his finger....did your kids nail look like this when he pinched it, if not, what did it look like?

Ya a year or so ago I ran up my brick steps out front and my baby toe nail got caught on the edge and when the rest of my foot stepped down it popped the nail right off. I was so scared to never have a toe nail that I shoved it back in and wrapped it up.

Thank God it half attached and grew back but I won't put him thru that pain of forcing the nail back on. But at the same time, what if it falls off and doesn't grow back? This is a finger nail that everyone will see, not a toe nail that stays hidden all day in socks and shoes :(

Quoting MommySwiggles:

My 3 yo pinched his thumb in a door a little while back. He lost the fingernail but it grew back. You can't tell anything ever happened. So even if he does lose the nail, don't freak out over it. Just make sure it's not an infection. Good luck!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ColieO
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2012 at 1:39 AM
He's not going to lose his finger. Try and clean it and put something anti bacterial on it and wrap it up until you can see a doctor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN