Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Healthy eating to prevent diabetes

Posted by on May. 6, 2012 at 3:16 PM
  • 5 Replies

Poll

Question: How did you eat while pregnant?

Options:

Ate completely healthy and away from junk foods?

Followed every single one of your cravings?

Ate anything and everything - you can work it off once the baby comes!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 3

View Results

Ok, so I started out my first pregnancy 20 lbs overweight, and didn't lose all the baby weight I gained either. Now with baby #2 on the way, I started 40 lbs overweight, and am really concerned about diabetes, since it runs on both sides of my family (mom, grandma, aunts, uncles).  So what did you ladies do to make sure you stayed healthy, and ate healthy?  Today I had a turkey, tomato, lettuce, cheese sandwhich on white bread with Miracle whip spread - both for breakfast and lunch - and some watermelon pieces :) 

~Let go, and Let God~

by on May. 6, 2012 at 3:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Honestly if thats what you had for breakfast you may of very well been over allotted carbs for that meal.  The first thing is you need to really educate yourself on whats healthy.  what may be healthy in general could very well not be a good balanced meal for a diabetic.  White bread ..HUGE no no very high in carbs and its the type of carbs that spike your sugar and then you crash.  watermelon while ok portion should not be more than 3/4 a cup for a meal.  Basic rules to follow are 40 carbs breakfast 15 for 2 snacks and 60 for lunch and dinner each.  AND the carbs you do eat should be long acting slow building carbs like bean, legumes, whole grain products.  your plate should be half low glycemic veges a small portion of lowfat meat and a serving of fruit which depending on the fruit can be as little as half a small apple to a whole cup of blueberries.  PORTION control is HUGE.  measure everything until you get the hang of it.

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2012 at 4:41 PM

BTW even having GD and later type 2 I couldn't pick one of your answers because although I followed my diet close every now and then I splurged but did my best to stay within my meal numbers.  Like I would have natural chips and tuna for lunch.  Not a GREAT choice but once in a rare awhile its ok

Peephy
by Member on May. 6, 2012 at 5:16 PM

My mom had GD and then type 2 a few years later, and that's my biggest fear with this pregnancy.  Haha, and yeah, my mom definitely splurged from time to time, but knew when to call it quits.  Thanks for the input.  Should probably eat like I have diabetes, probably the best way to increase the odds of not ending up with GD and later diabetes.  I've been having real issues with this pregnancy with trying to stay healthy, because most of my cravings have been for fast food items.

Quoting erinsmom1964:

BTW even having GD and later type 2 I couldn't pick one of your answers because although I followed my diet close every now and then I splurged but did my best to stay within my meal numbers.  Like I would have natural chips and tuna for lunch.  Not a GREAT choice but once in a rare awhile its ok

~Let go, and Let God~

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2012 at 5:31 PM

That would be your best bet.  More people should eat like they are diabetic they would be much healthier.  :)  It will definatley give your pancreas, liver, gall bladder etc a break and it could stave off you getting type 2 in the future.  congrats!!! and best of luck!!

Quoting Peephy:

My mom had GD and then type 2 a few years later, and that's my biggest fear with this pregnancy.  Haha, and yeah, my mom definitely splurged from time to time, but knew when to call it quits.  Thanks for the input.  Should probably eat like I have diabetes, probably the best way to increase the odds of not ending up with GD and later diabetes.  I've been having real issues with this pregnancy with trying to stay healthy, because most of my cravings have been for fast food items.

Quoting erinsmom1964:

skyes_mama
by Member on May. 6, 2012 at 5:33 PM
This..

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Honestly if thats what you had for breakfast you may of very well been over allotted carbs for that meal.  The first thing is you need to really educate yourself on whats healthy.  what may be healthy in general could very well not be a good balanced meal for a diabetic.  White bread ..HUGE no no very high in carbs and its the type of carbs that spike your sugar and then you crash.  watermelon while ok portion should not be more than 3/4 a cup for a meal.  Basic rules to follow are 40 carbs breakfast 15 for 2 snacks and 60 for lunch and dinner each.  AND the carbs you do eat should be long acting slow building carbs like bean, legumes, whole grain products.  your plate should be half low glycemic veges a small portion of lowfat meat and a serving of fruit which depending on the fruit can be as little as half a small apple to a whole cup of blueberries.  PORTION control is HUGE.  measure everything until you get the hang of it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)