Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DONE!

Posted by on May. 6, 2012 at 4:22 PM
  • 32 Replies
1 mom liked this

I have had it.  I am at my wits end with my kids not listening.  I have been telling them for the last 3 hours to get their room clean.  All they do is play.  I have been watching them clean it and I am just tired of it.  Ok so it hasn't quite been 3 hours yet.  It is 3:13 and at 4:00 it will be 3 hours and at 4 if they are not done my husband and I are throwing all their toys away.  No they are not going in a shed, garage, or storage.  They are seriously going to the trash and the kids are going to walk with us to the dump and watch us throw their toys away.  Call me a bitch I don't care but I am so tired of it.  We will not be buying them any more toys until they can prove to us they can take care of them.  I am just tired of stepping on them, picking them up, watching the dogs chew on them, and the kids just not caring if they get broken or not.  They leave them outside, they leave them every where in the house.  When you tell them to pick them up they cry and say its to much work.  I am just tired of yelling at them.  I have made reward boxes, charts, and all different types of reward systems and they kids just don't care.  I have tried making it  to wear they work for money, toys, time with parents, time to play outside, going to the park....ect....and they just don't care.  I have had it.  I am at my wits end.  Their books are all torn up, and wrote in.  So yes their books and everything are going in the trash.  I do have a few books of theirs that won't be going in the trash because they are the books my oldest practices with.  Other than that everything from their crayons to their stuffed animals is going in the trash. 

So with no toys in my house or books or stuffed animals I need some ideas on how my kids can prove to me that they can take care of their toys so they can earn toys back.  I have chores for them to do but they only do the ones that they think is fun.  for example....the fun ones are...Moping, dusting, sweeping, and my oldest likes to clean the br.  They don't mind making their beds.  The chores they won't do are all the other ones, Dishes, laundry, cleaning their room, helping with yard work that kind of thing.  So any ideas would be great.

by on May. 6, 2012 at 4:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
southwind720
by on May. 6, 2012 at 4:27 PM
I'm with you on this one. My kids have household chores they have to do. My son, age 12, picks up after the dogs. My oldest daughter, 11, unloads the dishwasher & my youngest daughter, 8, had to pick up the bathroom.

Set a period of time (2 weeks) for them to do their chores. Make a chart to keep track of the days they did them. If they are able to keep up wih the chores....then they can earn their toys back.

Btw....how old are your kids?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ChancesMommy07
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2012 at 4:28 PM
I think throwing everything away is majorly dramatic and drastic. How old are the kids? My son is 4 and cleans his own room because it's organized in a way that makes cleanup extremely easy. Everything is in boxes and toyboxes with little pictures of what goes in them attached.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fireice
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2012 at 4:37 PM

My kids are ages 6 and almost 5.  Their room couldn't be any easier to clean.  They have a huge toy box that all the toys fit in.  The books just go on a shelf that is easy for them to reach.  Doesn't get much simpler. 

This is what their chore charts look like.  On the back of each peace of paper that has their chore is the reward that they get for that chore.  When i read their chore to them I also tell them what the reward is.  They either one of 2 things.  They cry and say its to much work, Or they say that ones fun and off they go.  As you can see zoeys chart only has one star on a square because thats the only day this month i could get her to do anything.  My youngest Emma has none.

justkeeplaughin
by on May. 6, 2012 at 4:45 PM
I have done the same thing with my kids. I got so tired of stepping on legos, barbie shoes, and wondering if the dog was going to choke on a toy! I didn't throw it way....I took it to the daycare where I work and gave it away. That way I felt I wasn't throwing my hard earned money in the trash.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ChancesMommy07
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2012 at 4:48 PM
What are their chores exactly? In the op you listed mopping, dusting, sweeping, dishes, cleaning br, laundry, yardwork..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fireice
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2012 at 5:34 PM

These are their chores:

Mop kitchen and bathroom floor

wipe down cubord doors

sweep the kitchen, br, and entryway

clear table

clean the br

make bed

feed the dogs

dust

make your bed

put away toys

put laundry in the hamper

skyes_mama
by Member on May. 6, 2012 at 5:38 PM
Make them clean a section at a time in a certain time.
Ie one corner in 10 min. Who ever is done first with it done right gets a done who ever has the most dines at the end of the clean ups gets ice cream. The loser just watches the other eat the ice cream and next tone maybe they will win.

Works in my house
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ChancesMommy07
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2012 at 5:40 PM
And they are only 6 and 5? Other than cooking and actually doing the laundry it sounds like they clean the whole house.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ChancesMommy07
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2012 at 5:41 PM
You put your kids against each other to get chores done?

Quoting skyes_mama:

Make them clean a section at a time in a certain time.

Ie one corner in 10 min. Who ever is done first with it done right gets a done who ever has the most dines at the end of the clean ups gets ice cream. The loser just watches the other eat the ice cream and next tone maybe they will win.

Works in my house
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sidneyb
by on May. 6, 2012 at 5:47 PM
bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured