Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Feeling kinda wrong right now...

Posted by on May. 7, 2012 at 4:42 PM
  • 22 Replies

Poll

Question: Should I let it go or should I say something?

Options:

Email the professor about the error

Take the A and run!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 28

View Results

Long story short....Some of you may know that I was recently diagnosed with ms.  I am also a college student.  I was taking an online class and for my final I was suppose to do a hand written essay in the testing center at the college.  Just so happened that I was on IV steroids treatments (via home nurse) that week so I had to write my essay with an IV tube in my arm.  Not fun.  I was in tears by the time it was over because I was in so much pain.  The staff at the college said they were going to put a note on my test for my professor because they felt bad for me and that I should email my professor as well.  I kinda thought that was stupid but I did.  I emailed him my "woe is me" story.  He emailed me back and told me not to worry and feel better.  I had really high marks on all of my work up to the final.  I got a C on the final which is better than I expected b/c I was feeling horribly sick.  Here's the thing....My professor tacked on an additional 50 points to my overall grade that I did nothing to earn.  I thought "Oh, that's a mistake that he'll catch when he goes to enter the final grades for the course."  He didn't.  So instead of getting a B I got an A.  I can't help but wonder if he did it on purpose or accident.  I feel bad.  I didn't really earn it but I am a 4.0 student and I would like to keep it that way.

by on May. 7, 2012 at 4:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Beckie on May. 7, 2012 at 4:48 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm sure he knew exactly what he was doing...I assume he very much appreciated that you put in so much effort.  You obviously are a great student, and he was rewarding you for that.  In many classes, grades are designed to not only reflect scores on tests and such, but also of the attitude of the student.  Take the A.  :)

trebelcleff
by on May. 7, 2012 at 4:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm going back to school now, and I'm beginning to realize that if you prove (both in class and on tests) that you are a good student, many professors will cut you some slack if you mess up once.  I had a horrible week and on an online class assignment in a class that I was doing extremely well in, I got a failing grade.  The professor knew the situation, took into consideration my other grades and quality of my work, and provided an extra credit assignment to help me boost my final grade.  I went from a B- (because of that one grade) to an A-.  He probably gave you those points on purpose, and I wouldn't even bother to mention it.  Maybe just send a note of thanks for being so understanding about your issue.  Congrats on doing well!!!

hopealways4019
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 5:00 PM
Just accept it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Clark7258
by on May. 7, 2012 at 5:02 PM
I agree! That's what grace is. You worked hard. even in the worse of circumstances you persevered and you were rewarded for sticking it out til the end.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AlwaysExpecting
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Are you kidding? I am also a 4.0 student, and I wouldn't think twice about it, you earned it, regardless if it was by merit or actual work.  The professor gave it to you, he obviously felt that you earned it one way or another!!!! 

Mommy to three boys, ages 5, 4 and 2, with a girl due in May! 

barefootmommi
by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:19 AM
Take it momma u deserve it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AM-BRAT
by Amber on May. 8, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Quoting 081499:

I'm sure he knew exactly what he was doing...I assume he very much appreciated that you put in so much effort.  You obviously are a great student, and he was rewarding you for that.  In many classes, grades are designed to not only reflect scores on tests and such, but also of the attitude of the student.  Take the A.  :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amgrays
by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Take it. I work at a university and I work closely with disabilty services. If you got a question wrong and he marked it as correct, I might have said something; but 50 points means he knew what he was doing.

Cara5
by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:27 PM
2 moms liked this

I would send an email thanking the professor for being so kind and understanding of all your medical issues while taking his class. Dont out right say "thanks for the free "A" but acknowledge his kindness.  Teachers have the ability to add on extra points for things like participation and effort.  Im sure he knew what he was doing. 

LoreleiSieja
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Take the A.  I was a 4.0 student, too... I didn't have the pain and illness you have to deal with, but I was a young mom with two babies under the age of two.  My professor did a lot of little favors to try to help me out.  She hired me to be her student assistent, but then when I went to her office to work, she often didn't have anythign for me to do, so I could sit there and do my homework - and still get paid the college workstudy money.  I knew she was doing that on purpose to help me... I felt a little guilty about it, but not too much.  The college paid thousands of dollars to their all-star football players who couldn't gather enough credits in five years to earn an associates degree, but the little bitty scholarship they gave me every semester wasn't enough to buy a single book.  Oh... gee, listen to me complain!  Grrr.  Sorry about that!  I'm just saying, it's not like you intentionall cheated or anything.  You would have earned an A for sure if you had been feeling better.  He's just giving you a break.  Or maybe, he gave you bonus points for your topic, even if you didnt' do a bang up job on the paper itself.  Who knows? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)