Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

I feel super guilty... and it's stupid

I found out almost a year ago that I have heredetary hemochromatosis (my body stores extra iron, which can damage organs. Only treatment is therapeutic phlebotomy - donating blood every 8 weeks). My blood is SAFE to donate and I disclose my condition each time I donate. Anyways, I feel guilty because after I had kids I stopped donating because it would cause me to get super dizzy and pass out. This has NOT changed... I am back to donating blood because not only do I save three lives in the process, I save my own life by keeping my condition in check. But every single time, I nearly pass out and they have to have me drink juice, put ice packs on my neck and arm (on my arm after the procedure to help my blood clot). I just feel so guilty every time. When I walk in, they know I'm a difficult draw and I get sick every time... normally they would tell me I'm not suitable for donation because of this... UGH, just makes me feel so guilty. I know it's stupid, but I just do... I'm really glad that I help people with my blood, but any idea what I can do to stop feeling guilty? I follow all the guidelines ahead of time (eating a hearty, protein filled meal, drinking plenty of fluids beforehand, etc. I just happen to have low blood pressure to begin with so losing blood doesn't help matters in that department). Sorry if I'm rambling, lol, just got back and I'm still a bit dizzy (don't worry, hubby drove).

by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:40 PM
Replies (11-20):
by on May. 8, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Is there a way you can do it at your doctor's office?  I doubt you'd be able to actually donate it, but at least the process would be the same for you, and maybe you'd feel more comfortable there.  Or maybe you could even figure out a way to have it done at home?  

If not, I like the idea of bringing in a thank you gift for your normal guy.  It would be a nice gesture.  :)

Mrs_Incredible
by on May. 8, 2012 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this

TY

Quoting erinsmom1964:

:) I have done it myself before....

Quoting nicole1319:

I must have...

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting nicole1319:

I would feel the same way, but if it makes you sick then I would not do it anymore. 

Did you miss the part about if she doesn't she could damage her organs??

nicole1319
by on May. 8, 2012 at 1:39 PM

idk maybe try eating some Saltines before and after, as for the dizzness idk what would help with that.  Hope you can get this figured out.

Quoting Mrs_Incredible:

TY

Quoting erinsmom1964:

:) I have done it myself before....

Quoting nicole1319:

I must have...

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting nicole1319:

I would feel the same way, but if it makes you sick then I would not do it anymore. 

Did you miss the part about if she doesn't she could damage her organs??

Mrs_Incredible
by on May. 8, 2012 at 1:42 PM

I can... but 1, I have to pay $50 to do it there and 2, they discard my blood instead of donating it. If I'm going to have to go through the process either way, I'd rather do it in a way that helps others. 

Quoting 081499:

Is there a way you can do it at your doctor's office?  I doubt you'd be able to actually donate it, but at least the process would be the same for you, and maybe you'd feel more comfortable there.  Or maybe you could even figure out a way to have it done at home?  

If not, I like the idea of bringing in a thank you gift for your normal guy.  It would be a nice gesture.  :)

-PB
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2012 at 2:27 PM

I don't know anything about medicine what so ever but what about just donating plasma?  Would that still help you medically with less risk of passing out?  Probably not, but just trying to think of something to help.  :-/

I can't donate myself for the same reason.  Stick a needle in me and I hit the floor.  I volunteered for the red cross when I was a teen (years and years ago) passing out cookies and juice to blood donors and I'd see people pass out from time to time and most of the time they were really embarrassed.  It happens.  Sorry you have to do it for medical reasons but just keep in mind you're helping a lot of people.

jamieharper08
by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:45 PM

For me it is not the pain but more that they are going through multiple layers of skin and tissue to get there. It weirds me out. Do you think that maybe you are so scared of passing out that you make yourself? 

Quoting Mrs_Incredible:

Nope. I typically don't even pay them any attention. I drink my juice and watch TV or play on my internet on my phone. I have a high pain threshhold and the actual blood draw doesn't bother me. 

Quoting jamieharper08:

Do you try to hold your breath? I too have low BP and have always had a hard time giving blood because I would pass out. Just recently I had my blood taken. I told the lady that sometimes I get dizzy and pass out. While taking my blood she looked at me and told me to breath. Lol! I had been holding my breath the whole time! Could this be it?

Mrs_Incredible
by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Unfortunately not. Only regular whole blood. The red blood cells are what carry the iron and that's what needs to be flushed out. 

Quoting -PB:

I don't know anything about medicine what so ever but what about just donating plasma?  Would that still help you medically with less risk of passing out?  Probably not, but just trying to think of something to help.  :-/

I can't donate myself for the same reason.  Stick a needle in me and I hit the floor.  I volunteered for the red cross when I was a teen (years and years ago) passing out cookies and juice to blood donors and I'd see people pass out from time to time and most of the time they were really embarrassed.  It happens.  Sorry you have to do it for medical reasons but just keep in mind you're helping a lot of people.

Mrs_Incredible
by on May. 8, 2012 at 3:00 PM

I really don't think it's psychosomatic because the more blood I lose, the dizzier I get (I had to do double units for a few weeks when my iron was VERY high).

Quoting jamieharper08:

For me it is not the pain but more that they are going through multiple layers of skin and tissue to get there. It weirds me out. Do you think that maybe you are so scared of passing out that you make yourself? 

Quoting Mrs_Incredible:

Nope. I typically don't even pay them any attention. I drink my juice and watch TV or play on my internet on my phone. I have a high pain threshhold and the actual blood draw doesn't bother me. 

Quoting jamieharper08:

Do you try to hold your breath? I too have low BP and have always had a hard time giving blood because I would pass out. Just recently I had my blood taken. I told the lady that sometimes I get dizzy and pass out. While taking my blood she looked at me and told me to breath. Lol! I had been holding my breath the whole time! Could this be it?

Mrs_Incredible
by on May. 8, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Thank you for the idea. I think I will do this next time since I'm going to be donating here every 8 weeks (possibly every 6) for the forseeable future.

Quoting nerdymom28:

Maybe bring him someting nice once in awhile...some homemade cookies or something. Tell him you feel guilty for all you put him through, and you appreciate how patient he is with you. It sounds like he doesn't mind in the first place, but maybe something from the heart will show him how appreciative you really are. :)

Quoting Mrs_Incredible:

The phlebotomist is super nice and very patient, but I always feel guilty for making his day that much harder. It takes me about an hour to donate from intake to completion and then I have to sit there for another 20-30 minutes to keep from passing out. We only have one place within 50 miles I can go and I NEVER do the blood drive vans (because their day is hard enough). I always apologize, but I still feel guilty.

Quoting nerdymom28:

I'd probably feel the same way. Do you go to the same place every time you donate? Is there a certain nurse that you like, who doesn't seem to mind? If so, I would just request her...but I'd probably still apologize every time. It's just the way I am.

kim8934
by on May. 8, 2012 at 3:10 PM

I find that funny that you give but still feel quilty.  The Blood Centers are use to special cases, that's how they know how to deal with them.  My blood pressure is also very low and it seems to take me forever to fill the bag.  When we have blood drives at work, there are always a number of people that get dizzy.  Don't let it bother you, you might not see anyone having the same issues as you do, but they do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)