Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

3 year old wont stop hitting other kids, WHY!!!!

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:27 PM
  • 5 Replies

So I am now having an issue with my 3 yr old son starting to hit the kids in class, this is somethign I do not allow and do correct him on, can't figure out why he is hitting, he does try to hit myself and his grandparents and he gets put into time out, any suggestions parents on what to do and why he is doing it

by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
jamieharper08
by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:41 PM

My children were never big on hitting, but when they did, I'd pop their hands and tell them "no, it hurts when you hit". I know some people do not believe in stricking their children so if that is not an option for you, you could try taking a favorite toy, taking away a favorite show, maybe rewarding him with a little something for not hitting that day?

LuLuRex
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2012 at 4:42 PM

My kids were never hitters but maybe he is doing as a last resort or out of frustration. I would try to dig deeper and find out what's happening right before he hits. ((hugs))

carolina_gal
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Quoting LuLuRex:

My kids were never hitters but maybe he is doing as a last resort or out of frustration. I would try to dig deeper and find out what's happening right before he hits. ((hugs))

Owl_Feather
by on May. 9, 2012 at 8:44 AM

does he talk well? My son is 4, speech delayed and hits sometimes but he does it when he cant express himself. He gets a time out and I remind him to use his words. When he does use his words I see a major positive change in his attitude!!! I wouldnt smack or hit back as a form of discipline because that just shows it's ok to hit.

bamababe1975
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2012 at 10:53 AM

It sounds like he's frustrated that he can't do something or communicate something and is hitting because it's the only way he knows to express himself. When he hits, take hold of his hands and ask him, "Why are you mad? Do you want ___?" and try to figure out what's going on. If you help him learn to express himself better verbally he should stop hitting.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)