Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Just now married....

Posted by on May. 14, 2012 at 3:26 AM
  • 10 Replies

me and my hubby have been together 7 yrs and we just now got married. why is it people say its just a piece of paper?  To me it means more than that, that he is devoted to me and only me. Whether all of that is true only time can tell, I just worry why he waited 7 yrs to get married???  we have two children and it irritates me sometimes it took him that long to marry me :(((

by on May. 14, 2012 at 3:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamaeagle216
by on May. 14, 2012 at 5:31 AM
The people who say that 'it's only a piece of paper' are wrong. it's a lot of things to different people. If you take away the romantic aspect it's a legally binding contract that prevent each other from screwing over their significant other. Since most people in 'serious relationship' ei having a baby out of wedlock treat being together as a huge joke I'm not surprised that almost no one is married anymore. People wanna have their cake and eat it too.
I'm sure that now you're married you have nothing to worry about. And if you do, you have that 'piece of paper' to fall back on. Good luck mama.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on May. 14, 2012 at 9:03 AM

I think people who are comfortable with a relationship instead of a marriage say that to deffend what they are doing to others. It isn't meant to be mean, it is meant to say, I am comfortable just being with him, I don't need a marriage. I, on the other hand, have been happily married for almost 7 years now and we were together for 2 years before that. I was so excited to get married, it meant that he loved me more than anyone else and wanted to spend the rest of his life with me :)

Mom2Addison12
by on May. 14, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Quoting mamaeagle216:

The people who say that 'it's only a piece of paper' are wrong. it's a lot of things to different people. If you take away the romantic aspect it's a legally binding contract that prevent each other from screwing over their significant other. Since most people in 'serious relationship' ei having a baby out of wedlock treat being together as a huge joke I'm not surprised that almost no one is married anymore. People wanna have their cake and eat it too.
I'm sure that now you're married you have nothing to worry about. And if you do, you have that 'piece of paper' to fall back on. Good luck mama.

whaht do you mean, you have that piece of paper to fall back on?!?!?!?!!?!?!? in most states, after 7 years, they are legally married, paper or not....that piece of paper doesn't protect her from him going and cheating or doing anything else to screw her over.

TAG2.0
by on May. 14, 2012 at 12:34 PM

What youre saying is not different than people who are not married and have been together just as long and feel the same way. The only difference is law and that piece of paper. 

MrsRinehart2010
by on May. 14, 2012 at 12:37 PM

well it took me and my husband 4 years almost 5 and we had one child an got pregnant with the second 2 weeks after we got married. to me it is jsut a paper considering we were already living our life like married couple, and I  already knew he was devoted to me.

MrsRinehart2010
by on May. 14, 2012 at 12:38 PM

nope not here in ohio it doesnt matter how long you were together its not legally binding what so ever unless you are married here.

Quoting Mom2Addison12:

Quoting mamaeagle216:

whaht do you mean, you have that piece of paper to fall back on?!?!?!?!!?!?!? in most states, after 7 years, they are legally married, paper or not....that piece of paper doesn't protect her from him going and cheating or doing anything else to screw her over.

mamaeagle216
by on May. 14, 2012 at 1:53 PM
I'm in Ohio too. That's the norm for our laws. Doesn't matter how long you need the paper. And nothing will protect her from him cheating of he's gonna cheat. That's not the point. She can go after him if he commits adultery while married. It's illegal. If their 'engaged' there is nothing there for her ( or him ) if either cheat.
If they're married and he screws up she's usually entitled to half of everything accumulated while together. If not too bad. So there's a lot of ways being married will save her some problems in the future if she thinks there's something hinky going on.

Quoting MrsRinehart2010:

nope not here in ohio it doesnt matter how long you were together its not legally binding what so ever unless you are married here.

Quoting Mom2Addison12:

Quoting mamaeagle216:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DalesLgndLvsOn3
by Member on May. 14, 2012 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Mom2Addison12:

Quoting mamaeagle216:

Actually there are less than 20 states out of 50 that recognize common law marriage (none are after 7 years) , most states do NOT recognize common law marriage.

http://www.unmarried.org/common-law-marriage-fact-sheet.html

snowangel1979
by Silver Member on May. 14, 2012 at 2:28 PM
LOL me and Dh dated off and on for a long long time before we got married.
It didn't really change our relationship, I guess in a since it is just a peice of paper, but legally It's a lot more.
It's the ability to take his last name, make medical decisions if he's not able to (and him for me) get social security if he dies, not loss our house if something happens to him and a lot more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MylittlePea
by on May. 14, 2012 at 4:47 PM

I am in the same exact boat. 7 years I know he bought me an engagement ring. I could of sworn that he was going to purpose to me on mothers day but nope!!!!! at least your married!!! but I love him and feel like feelings are going to remain the same and the ceremony is just a novelty.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)