Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Should I force him to go on the bus?

Posted by   + Show Post
My son is four, will be five August 30. There is a summer program I want to sign him up for but they go on several field trips per week. He only went on one field trip this past year because he is afraid of the bus. So I want opinions, should I force him to go on the bus to try to get him over this fear? Or should I let him not go to the program so he can wait to go on the bus till he feels ready?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 14, 2012 at 5:28 PM
Replies (31-40):
jediGert
by on May. 15, 2012 at 7:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Sooner or later he's going to have to ride on a bus.  Possibly take him on a ride in a local city bus so he can see there's nothing to be afraid of but IMHO... yes, make him get on the bus.  Catering to irrational fears at that age leads to bigger issues down the line you are not going to want to deal with.

greenmachine47
by on May. 15, 2012 at 9:29 AM

I would maybe wait until he feels is ready unless you can volunteer to ride the bus with him until he feels comfortable with it. Mydd is 4 and starting preschool in the fall. I'm also on the fence if  she has the option of riding the bus. If she has the option I will most likely drive her the 1st week or 2 then see if she wants to ride the bus. My friend did that with her girls when they were in preschool and after the 1st week or 2 they begged her to ride the bus with their friends.

JTriches
by on May. 15, 2012 at 8:05 PM

WAIT til he is ready.  NEVER force your child!!!

RutterMama
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Um... NO. He's SO young!!!

SissyAnn141
by on May. 16, 2012 at 5:48 AM

BUMP!

bannannagirl
by on May. 16, 2012 at 6:15 AM
Did he ride the bus on the fieldtrip this year? If so was he afraid of the bus before or after the fieldtrip? If it was after could something have happened while on the bus that caused this fear? Find out exactly what it is he is afraid of (too noisy, too crowded, too big, not having a carseat, not riding with mommy/daddy etc.) If you can narrow down the issue(s) then you can take steps to help him overcome his fears by taking him on the city bus, going to the school transportation department or children's museum and walking on an empty bus with him, or going on the bus on a fieldtrip with him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KRIZZ25
by on May. 16, 2012 at 6:44 AM

he 4 he will get over it. talk wth the teacher  and see if someone can assist him.

SissyAnn141
by on May. 17, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Quoting greenmachine47:

I would maybe wait until he feels is ready unless you can volunteer to ride the bus with him until he feels comfortable with it. Mydd is 4 and starting preschool in the fall. I'm also on the fence if  she has the option of riding the bus. If she has the option I will most likely drive her the 1st week or 2 then see if she wants to ride the bus. My friend did that with her girls when they were in preschool and after the 1st week or 2 they begged her to ride the bus with their friends.

I do agree.

Take into consideration, his personality.

Not ever child is the same.

Bmat
by Barb on May. 17, 2012 at 8:24 AM

I'd say he shouldn't be made to.  He might find if the other children are talking a trip up that he wants to go on the next one. But he's only 4, don't make him.

karina400
by on May. 18, 2012 at 8:46 AM
It's the seatbelt he is afraid of. I passed up the chance to work today because he said he would go if I came with him. Now he doesn't want to go at all because I told him he will need to wear his seatbelt. So I told him his choices are go with me or without me. This kid drives me crazy sometimes.

Quoting bannannagirl:

Did he ride the bus on the fieldtrip this year? If so was he afraid of the bus before or after the fieldtrip? If it was after could something have happened while on the bus that caused this fear? Find out exactly what it is he is afraid of (too noisy, too crowded, too big, not having a carseat, not riding with mommy/daddy etc.) If you can narrow down the issue(s) then you can take steps to help him overcome his fears by taking him on the city bus, going to the school transportation department or children's museum and walking on an empty bus with him, or going on the bus on a fieldtrip with him.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)