Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you think? Should I be concerned?

Posted by on May. 20, 2012 at 10:55 PM
  • 14 Replies

I'm 7 months pregnant.

This is my SO's first kid, my second. 

The other day he saw me on my laptop and started getting concerned. 

He said, "are you suppose to have your laptop on top of your belly like that?"

The reason why he mentioned this is because of the news where researchers studied how men who have laptops on their stomachs or near their penis, the laptop will effect their sperm and possibly slow their sperm or kill them off, something like that.

So my question is, if laptops can effect sperm, does that mean laptops can also effect the fetus, or baby, in some way? 

I love Vinni and Alex

by on May. 20, 2012 at 10:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sarah961
by on May. 20, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Goodness sakes,IDK.

aimeegreen4ever
by on May. 21, 2012 at 12:01 AM
1 mom liked this
I heard that you shouldn't have you're laptop on you're tummy because of the heat it produces, just like you're not supposed to do tanning beds because of the heat... Talk with your doctor about it and probably don't do it anymore but my cousin carried her second child doing tanning beds hey entire pregnancy and her baby is fine... But yeah, its not the best idea... Id talk to your doc...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lindalou907
by Silver Member on May. 21, 2012 at 12:29 AM

I'd get one of those pads you put under it to keep it cool,they get way too hot for me!

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on May. 21, 2012 at 2:21 AM

my laptop gets so hot i couldnt have it on my lap for more than 5 minutes anyways......i find it very uncomfortable...but yaa like pp said, just get a lil laptop table thingy for your lap

Pam_8787
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2012 at 2:25 AM
I love the heat from my laptop and I kept if in my lap throughout the first half of my pregnancy until I read something about the heat. That's when I stopped.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BaileynMe
by on May. 21, 2012 at 3:31 AM
I would also guess of there was any reason not to have it there it'd be the heat, and that would also explain the sperm thing, as heat is bad for sperm.

Quoting aimeegreen4ever:

I heard that you shouldn't have you're laptop on you're tummy because of the heat it produces, just like you're not supposed to do tanning beds because of the heat... Talk with your doctor about it and probably don't do it anymore but my cousin carried her second child doing tanning beds hey entire pregnancy and her baby is fine... But yeah, its not the best idea... Id talk to your doc...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fi35
by on May. 21, 2012 at 8:30 AM

yes you should be concerned. you're not supose to have heat on your belly because the heat will affect your baby's spine and could cause him/her to be born with a curve in their spine that may not be able to be corrected. that is why they tell you no hot baths, heating pads, tanning beds, etc. like laptops on your belly while you're pregnant.

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on May. 21, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Laptops are HOT, put it on the table, or a blanket under it. They have pads you can buy for them as well. Keep it off your belly though. 

ceciliam
by Cecilia on May. 21, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Yes, it's because of the heat that they generate. I think it's always more of a concern in the first trimester.

Bmat
by Barb on May. 21, 2012 at 12:40 PM

From http://www.radiationanswers.org/radiation-questions-answers/radiation-and-pregnancy.html

Are there any risks to the unborn child from radiation emitted from computers?

No. Today, it would be difficult to find a computer (the monitor actually) that exposes the user to large or even moderate amounts of electric or magnetic field radiation. It is safe to use a computer when you are pregnant.  If you are using a laptop, the answer is still no to the question of risks from radiation; however, pregnant users are cautioned against setting the laptop on their abdomen during pregnancy because of heating. Learn more on the Laptop and Television Radiation Pregnancy page.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured