Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I go see my doctor in two weeks to discuss birth control options.  I have tried the pill but with two little ones I found myself forgetting to take it.  I tried the depo shot, but I had terrible spotting.  I know at this point we don't want to have any more children for a while.  I have researched both Paragard and Mirena, but I would like some recommendations.  So which one do you recommend?  I have a lot of trouble with spotting on birth control so far.  Also, what are side effects to either?

by on May. 21, 2012 at 7:16 PM
Replies (11-19):
Rachelz123
by on May. 22, 2012 at 8:04 AM
I have mirena and I bled for weeks when I first got it. I've had it for a year now and I still get my period. It is light but I have a lot of spotting before I get it for days. Very annoying but I'm having it taken out soon so we can TTC.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tiffdabiff2000
by on May. 22, 2012 at 10:11 AM
Paraguard, I have been on it for two years..some heavy bleeding at times but no symptoms compared to what i experienced with hormonal bc
louzannalady
by on May. 22, 2012 at 10:27 AM

With the Mirena, it had back acne (yuck), weight gain, could not lose weight to save my life and really bad depression. My body did not handle the hormones well. It also took ten months to conceive once we had it removed. If you already have issues with hormonal BC, I would recommend against it. The Paraguard- I have not experience with it, but I do know that it does not have the hormone, so it is a lot gentler on your body in some ways. And it lasts ten years instead of five. 

Their.Mom
by on May. 22, 2012 at 10:35 AM

I got Mirena a year ago. I full on bled for 6 months! My doctor said it's a normail side effect. Ever since getting it I have to wear a pad because I have SO much discharge, he also said that's normal. Personally I don't like it. I'm also going to try Paragard after we have our second baby.

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on May. 22, 2012 at 10:35 AM

I LOVED the Paraguard!!!!  Highly reccomend!  There are no hormones, so your body does what its suppose to do.  No horrible mood swings or weight gain b/c there are no artificial hormones in your body.  It lasts 10yrs!  I had mine for almost 3yrs and got pregnant the day I had it removed.  :)  The only draw back is if they don't trim your strings correctly then your SO can feel them.  I had to have mine retrimmed, but then NO issues what so ever.  I plan to get another one after brother is born!

Jessi_James
by on May. 22, 2012 at 11:02 AM

I had the Mirena =] Worked great for 3 years.  My periods were light and no cramping. Didn't have to worry about remembering to take a pill. BUT I ended up preg with my last baby. They felt around for it and never found it, insisted it fell out. When I had the c sec, it popped out of the incision lol.

aidyns_mommy
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2012 at 11:01 PM
Love my mirena! No period or babies since 08! No bad side effects either :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaFruFru
by Bronze Member on May. 25, 2012 at 9:32 AM
I hated mirena.. 2 yyears of almist daily bleeding,. Uti's sever yest infevtions.. Bad!

Ive had paraguard fir 5 mo. No cramping no period.

I do have sever endometrosus do im nit the "average"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marisab
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:16 AM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured