Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

my 8 month old is outgrowing her car seat... *edit**update*

Posted by on May. 24, 2012 at 12:06 PM
  • 25 Replies
I want to rearface as long as possible and she is outgrowing her infant seat. What do I look for? The convertible car seats at Walmart look huge compared to my 17 lb 8 month old. Idk what to look for can anyone help me?

*edit*
Ok I looked online at the radian car seat and I love it, it looks like it will fit great in my car but someone said that its been known to come undone? Can you give me a link to something to prove it? Or disprove it I only want my baby to be safe. Also I could find a price anyone know how much the rxt runs?
*update*
Ok i joined the carseat group and I agree with everyone about avoiding radian, I promise I won't get one lol. I'm looking into others like safety 1st and graco. Thanks for all your advice and if you think of anything else let me know.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 24, 2012 at 12:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2012 at 12:11 PM

You just want a convertible seat with a high RF weight limit.   Some of them are huge!   The Graco My Ride goes up to 40lbs RF and 65 FF, for example.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
SouthTxPrincess
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2012 at 12:21 PM
Ok so its good that they look like it will swallow her? Lol another thing is I have a small car a dodge four door fits 5 people. But with two car seats in the back I can barely fit a adult back there. Ugh I wanted a bigger car but df wanted this one. I guess ill figure out something.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

You just want a convertible seat with a high RF weight limit.   Some of them are huge!   The Graco My Ride goes up to 40lbs RF and 65 FF, for example.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cutestmom24
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2012 at 12:23 PM
I got one a kmart for $44 cosco brand the weight limit is 70 lbs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FlyingMommy747
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Our DD outgrew her infant carseat at about the same age.  She was still within the weight limit, but was getting too long.  We got a Britax Roundabout, and she is now outgrowing that (she is 3 1/2 now), but I am selling it on Craigslist, and I have a buyer I'm meeting this afternoon.

I would recommend that you get one with as much flexibility as you can afford.  Look at the clips to the latch.  Our infant carseat was a Graco and the latch clips were awful, and the Britax are so easy.  Make sure you can easily install it in you vehicle.

SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Yea... they're made to fit 5-6 y/os at some point, so an 8 mo old will look small.

Check out the Radian.   It's the skinniest seat you can get, I believe... or just go to BRU and check a bunch out and compare.   You can even take the floor samples and try them out in your car there.  

Quoting SouthTxPrincess:

Ok so its good that they look like it will swallow her? Lol another thing is I have a small car a dodge four door fits 5 people. But with two car seats in the back I can barely fit a adult back there. Ugh I wanted a bigger car but df wanted this one. I guess ill figure out something.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
MamaToHaileyBug
by on May. 24, 2012 at 12:39 PM
Go to the carseat safety group on here! They will be able to help you lots to get the best fitting carseat for your little one :) they're wonderful
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EsmeVincent
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2012 at 12:42 PM
Ds grew out of his infant seat by 6 mo so we had to find a seat that would grow with him...we got one that could be rf and ff...best thing to look for is one that will harness up to a high weight limit...and you decide if you want to rf past 2yrs or ff after 2yrs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pookienbobosmom
by on May. 24, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Our son outgrew his by 6 months so we with out youngest we bought the Snugride 35 that holds up to 35lbs so DD could RF much longer. She's now in a Britax from Target and we love it!

sreichelt26
by on May. 24, 2012 at 1:00 PM

This. Yes, your LO will look tiny in there at first, but she'll be perfectly safe. Dd's been in her MyRide since 5.5 months. Here's a pic of her first ride (ours has the old infant insert):

Quoting MamaToHaileyBug:

Go to the carseat safety group on here! They will be able to help you lots to get the best fitting carseat for your little one :) they're wonderful

2forKaty
by on May. 24, 2012 at 1:00 PM
The myriad is the bulkiest convertible out there. Your best bet is a britax convertible because they aren't as large. The radians are slim but not recommended by car seat techs unless necisarry as the latch has been know to loosen itself. The complete air is slim as well but not as easy to install as a britax. What age do you want to rear face to?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN