Unfortunately we can't put our kids in a bubble and protect them from ever getting hurt, but hopefully these safety tips will help put our minds at ease and help you and your family have a super summer!
- Get a properly fitted helmet for each family member for bike riding, skateboarding, rollerblading, etc., and any necessary padding.
- Make sure child bike seats are installed properly.
- Go over bike and road safety rules with your kids regularly.
- Be sure they (and you!) stay cool and hydrated.
- Go over water safety.
- Don't overdo it when playing outside in the heat and know the signs of heat exhaustion.
- Teach your kids to be street smart: no running into the road for a ball, look both ways before crossing, wear bright colors and reflective gear when you're outside at night, etc.
- Be prepared with basic first aid skills and supplies for cuts and scrapes, blisters, and allergies.
- Know the Heimlich Maneuver, and if you can, get certified in CPR.
- Talk to your kids about stranger danger and not to trust the ice cream man; never get into the truck or take free ice cream or candy.
- Enjoy amusement parks safely.
- Look for fun, free activities in your area that you can do as a family; try the local paper, municipal website, community bulletin boards, etc.
And most importantly, don't forget to relax and savor the summer while it's here!
- Lie down in a hammock and read.
- Play board games in the air-conditioning.
- Have dinner together -- followed by ice cream sundaes, of course!
- And don't forget to take lots of pictures and capture these precious moments!
Do you have any great safety tips that we didn't cover? What summer plans are you most excited for?