Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

School Advice

Posted by on May. 30, 2012 at 10:29 PM
  • 11 Replies

Does anyone know of any good online colleges? Maybe something that the tuition is under 7,000 yearly? I'm not sure I'll be able to pull off actually going to college while I have a toddler and a newborn. I know it's possible, but as of now... I have no friends or anyone really who could watch ds and we don't have the money to put him in daycare and I know once this little one is born it will cost more anyways. So any suggestions lady? I'm on the hunt now cause I really really want to go back to school soon!

by on May. 30, 2012 at 10:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-PB
by Gold Member on May. 30, 2012 at 10:36 PM
2 moms liked this

Are you near a community college?  They are usually cheap, accredited, and offer 95% of their classes online.  I go to community college and I have taken most of my classes online.  I've only taken a few at the school just because I wanna get out of the house sometimes.  ;-)

Be careful with all online colleges.  Sometimes the tuition is high and the credits won't transfer to a 4 year university.

lj.smommy
by on May. 30, 2012 at 10:38 PM

I live near 2 that I know of. That's what I thought about doing but with my baby being due at the end of fall classes I was iffy on the idea. I'll have to call them and ask about that thank you! 

Quoting -PB:

Are you near a community college?  They are usually cheap, accredited, and offer 95% of their classes online.  I go to community college and I have taken most of my classes online.  I've only taken a few at the school just because I wanna get out of the house sometimes.  ;-)

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on May. 30, 2012 at 11:42 PM

i'm sorry, i have no idea! here's a bump :)

LoreleiSieja
by on May. 31, 2012 at 12:09 PM
2 moms liked this

My daughter just graduated from Ashford University, online.  She loves the school, and is going on for her master's from them.  Her undergraduate degree is English Literature, and her masters will be in education.  She wants to teach at the college level one day.  She did the online school while working full time, and a single parent to a toddler.  It is very hard, and I babysat for her toddler while she was at work, but she had to schedule homework and housework around her toddler in the evenings. 

I went to a traditional college, worked part time, and had a toddler and an infant.  It can be done... but it is very challenging.  To make it work, you need to have some back-up support, some help, someone you can talk to when it feels like too much.  I was married.  My DH wasn't much for helping out - he didn't change diapers or do dishes, but he did help financially, and he was someone to talk to!  My daughter was single, had no friends, and hated her job, but she had me to talk to.  You have us here at Cafemom, but it would be better if you also had someone in flesh and blood - a relative or sibling or neighbor.

You should be able to get loans or grants to do your schooling.  The advantage is it is usually more than you need for the actual cost of school, so it can help out with living expenses.  It won't pay all your living expenses.  You will need some other help, I think - a part time job, or state aid.  the loans will pile up, you can borrow up to $50,000 for your undergraduate, then more if you go on beyond that.  But once you get your degree, you have ten years or more to pay the loans back at very low interest rate, and you'll have a chance to get a better paying job. 

You CAN do this!  You can do homework while the children nap.  You can be a great mom, and set a great example for your children.  Research proves that if mom gets an education, her children are far more likely to finish high school, stay out of trouble, stay away from drugs... you need to do this! 

I wish you the best!

http://raisingcreativechildren.com/nail-biting/

lj.smommy
by on May. 31, 2012 at 12:49 PM
Thank you. I was in school for a little while my son was an infant but I had more help then.

Quoting LoreleiSieja:

My daughter just graduated from Ashford University, online.  She loves the school, and is going on for her master's from them.  Her undergraduate degree is English Literature, and her masters will be in education.  She wants to teach at the college level one day.  She did the online school while working full time, and a single parent to a toddler.  It is very hard, and I babysat for her toddler while she was at work, but she had to schedule homework and housework around her toddler in the evenings. 

I went to a traditional college, worked part time, and had a toddler and an infant.  It can be done... but it is very challenging.  To make it work, you need to have some back-up support, some help, someone you can talk to when it feels like too much.  I was married.  My DH wasn't much for helping out - he didn't change diapers or do dishes, but he did help financially, and he was someone to talk to!  My daughter was single, had no friends, and hated her job, but she had me to talk to.  You have us here at Cafemom, but it would be better if you also had someone in flesh and blood - a relative or sibling or neighbor.

You should be able to get loans or grants to do your schooling.  The advantage is it is usually more than you need for the actual cost of school, so it can help out with living expenses.  It won't pay all your living expenses.  You will need some other help, I think - a part time job, or state aid.  the loans will pile up, you can borrow up to $50,000 for your undergraduate, then more if you go on beyond that.  But once you get your degree, you have ten years or more to pay the loans back at very low interest rate, and you'll have a chance to get a better paying job. 

You CAN do this!  You can do homework while the children nap.  You can be a great mom, and set a great example for your children.  Research proves that if mom gets an education, her children are far more likely to finish high school, stay out of trouble, stay away from drugs... you need to do this! 

I wish you the best!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pam_8787
by Bronze Member on May. 31, 2012 at 1:39 PM
My fiancé is looking into Kaplan university. If it works out for him after he is done with his bachelors I will go there for my masters.

I received my bachelors degree at a university and in between that time I had my oldest son, then I was pregnant and he was a toddler. I will always tell my youngest son that he walked across the stage to get my degree with me. I was like 30 weeks pregnant.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by on May. 31, 2012 at 4:44 PM

MIT? All their programs are online for free... (not the books and equipment, just the assignments, tutorials and lessons)...

Any reason you're thinking of going to college, apart from 'so you too can have a shit-ton of debt and no job' like everyone else?

lj.smommy
by on May. 31, 2012 at 5:10 PM
I'm wanting to get my associates in photography. I would go back to the school I went to but it took forever for the teachers to respond. That and I want to be more knowledgeable on something before I jump into it completely.

Quoting LindaClement:

MIT? All their programs are online for free... (not the books and equipment, just the assignments, tutorials and lessons)...

Any reason you're thinking of going to college, apart from 'so you too can have a shit-ton of debt and no job' like everyone else?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by on May. 31, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Uh...

I'd suggest you spend a couple of months in intensive, intentional study on the subject, and get your photos in front of as many critics as you can... rather than take any courses you have to pay anything for.

The information is freely available all over the internet, and no photographer ever got hired on the strength of their education: it's all product. If you're good and market your stuff aggressively, you get paid. If you have the 'best' education money can buy, and can't shoot well or sell, you get to stay where you are right now.

Quoting lj.smommy:

I'm wanting to get my associates in photography. I would go back to the school I went to but it took forever for the teachers to respond. That and I want to be more knowledgeable on something before I jump into it completely.

Quoting LindaClement:

marisab
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:16 AM

check out penn foster if u havent found a school -this school -they have great payment plans and awesome selection of schools and all online at your own pace school yet they have great choices as well

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN