Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Homeschooling Question

Posted by on May. 31, 2012 at 8:40 PM
  • 38 Replies

This post is not intended to cause drama. I've known three people who were home schooled and well... they're kind of morons. They have no common sense from what I've experienced with them and they are incredibly sheltered. I am curious what others' experiences have been with adults who were home schooled since homeschooling is on the rise. I'm lucky to have my kids in a school district that pays very well for the education of its teachers and maintaining a favorable class size. That being said, I know that my children's education is also my responsibility and we do several "homeschooling" activities during the week, on weekends, during breaks, and learning opportunities on trips. We don't censor what my children learn about. If they come up to me and ask me "How is such and such made." We go to the nearest library or look up information online until they've learned about it. This has worked very well for us, but I still am not 100% on board with homeschooling... I think that my kids, personally, would miss out on too many experiences that are important for them to have. Also, I've seen the caliber of moms who home school (I've only known ONE person who's a contemporary who home schools her children who I believe is intelligent and driven enough to actually successfully home school). I've known many others who are raising people like the products of home school I've known. I'm not entirely sure what I'm trying to get at here... Have you known anyone who was home schooled who has a successful career or who is an intelligent person? The three that I've known got their GEDs at 16ish, but then have done nothing else and completely lack all common sense. I'm not trying to start drama, I'm genuinely curious. I know I'm fortunate to live in an affluent school district so I'm not experiencing many of the issues that other cite for homeschooling. 

by on May. 31, 2012 at 8:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-PB
by Gold Member on May. 31, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Very interesting question...I don't know anyone who was home schooled.  I am curious as well.

Mrs_Incredible
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 10:43 AM

BUMP!

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Yep I know several successful adults who were homeschooled.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PhDMom2011
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 11:29 AM

I really think it depends on the goals of the person. As a former classroom teacher and now teacher educator at a university, this is a topic that comes up often. Some people choose homeschooling as a way to prevent their kids from being exposed to certain people/things, to indoctrinate them (sometimes for religious purposes), and to "keep them in the fold", but I feel that these few give home-schooling a bad name. There are a number of professors at my university who home-school their children, doing so because they are not happen with the challenge posed by the curriculum at the schools their students would otherwise attend. This is especially true in many urban areas where the graduate rate is lower. It really is a personal choice. Today's home-schooled children are able to participate in sports and other extracurricular activities in the school districts where they live even though they don't attend the school, they have cooperative groups that get together for field trips, experiments, and other classroom experiences, so the argument that it prevents them from socially interacting normally is only true when the parents/students choose to make it so. In the past, home-schooling was done at the discretion of the parent doing the work, but now there are collaborative groups that home-school together, curricula are available both online and in person to standardize the quality of teaching/learning that takes place, and many universities now recognize home-school diplomas from accredited curricular programs, which was not the case in the past. As with all things, there are pros and cons and whether to home-school is a choice left up to the family. My children attend public school but I have many friends and family who have chosen the home-school option and they are very well-rounded, intelligent, and sociable.

startupscafe
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 4:48 PM
1 mom liked this

My son was homeschooled.  He is now 23 years old.  He is in college and is completing his degree at the end of this summer.  He also just recently completed his pilot's license.  He has plans to find a nice job, or even build his own business, then marry a nice girl when he finds her,  He was taught not to date until after he has received his degree and is able to support a family, so he does not have any kids, nor did he have the distractions of girlfriends, for that matter, so that he could complete his goals.  He is intelligent and is able to  think things out before he makes a decision.  And then, the best part of it, is that he loves his parents and has great respect for them.  We have paid for his college, and his flying lessons, and he doesn't have any student loans.  He has a great start ahead of him!

SeventiesChild
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Homeschooling can be highly successful. I homeschooled my kids until their highschool years. The oldest just graduated from law school. The second oldest graduated from college with high honors. They are healthy, articulate young ladies. One of them never really went thru the "teenage" years, but went straight from  being a young girl to a young lady.

I am often complimented on my kids, how intelligent, kind-hearted and also how much fun they are to be around. I attribute these qualities entirely upon them; I do not take credit for it.

I do not believe that children do not need to always be in a room of other children in order to learn. Their schoolwork was done at home, yes, but we went to a homeschool P E class at the local YMCA, participated in homeschool group sessions based on a theme once a month, took field trips, took art and dance out of the home and so, as you see,  my kids were around other kids enough besides being with their own siblings.

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless.
Mrs_Incredible
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Thank you so much for your stories ladies! I've tried to have an open mind because if it ever came down to it, I would homeschool my children. Thankfully we have as I said a wonderful school system in which they are thriving. 

startupscafe
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 5:53 PM

One other thing concerning your children being around other children.  These days it isn't always a positive experience for our children to be around many peers.  Family is a much better influence than peers.  Peers will influence them to do things that you might not want them to do.  Family only enhances the parent-child relationship with proper respect and love for family.  This is the number one goal.  Socialization just isn't always an advantage and doesn't always lead to good things.  Family can do much better.

Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.  Proverbs 22:6

sreichelt26
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 8:25 PM

A lot of my friends were homeschooled and most are college graduates. Those who aren't didn't want to be.

We're actually going to unschool, so I've been compiling info for family if/when they ask and came across this:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/freedom-learn/201204/meet-kate-fridkis-who-skipped-k-12-and-is-neither-weird-nor-homeless

TeaHound
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 8:40 PM

I don't know any adults who were homeschool (except the geniuses on tv crime drama's who are always the linch pin to every case solved lol).  I am homeschooling my kids b/c we live where the schools are far less then "not very good".  I attended the schools here and I wouldn't put my kids in them.

About my homeschooling: I'm intelligent, dh is intelligent, all four of my kids are intelligent; all of them are reading far above the level for their ages, etc.  As for sheltering them, I agree that they miss out on oportunities to interact with kids other than each other in this case, but the reality of where I live is that (in my opinion) they should be sheltered from the other kids.  I don't want my kids turning out like the adults in this area.

I said I went to school here.  It was during my teen years and I went to, what were at the time, the two best schools in the area and they weren't too bad.  I ended up having to take the GED test to "get out of high school" anyway, but I got a state deploma b/c I scored high in everything except science, which I didn't have the oportunity I should have had to take the science classes I needed to graduate.

That doesn't really answer your question does it?  I'm tired.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)